|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: stock.|
Supply and inventory[change | change source]
Stock in general refers to the equipment, materials, or supplies of an establishment or a store or supply accumulated or available, as in:
- Livestock kept on a farm.
- Stock (food), a soup and flavoring base
- Inventory, a term for "finished goods", or sometimes raw material kept in storage.
- Stock (cards),the common pile of undealt playing cards from which players draw in a number of card games.
- Stock media, set material which can be used by other people (and is sometimes created for the purpose), either for free or for a set fee. Examples include:
- Rolling stock as used in railway operation
- Stock, the base material used in some fabrication work, such as wood for woodworking or the metal used in a welding application.
Original[change | change source]
Stock may also mean the original (as a person, race, or language) from which others derive, as in:
- Rootstock, a stump used for grafting
- (Linguistic) stock, a group of related languages or language families
Names[change | change source]
Stock or stocks is also the name of:
- Stock, Essex is a village in the county of Essex, England.
- Stocks House is a country house in Aldbury, Hertfordshire which was the setting for the album cover of Oasis' Be Here Now
- Stock (publishing house)
- Matthiola incana, a flower
- An album by Japanese singer Akina Nakamori; see STOCK (music)
- Robert Stock, German entrepreneur
Other usages[change | change source]
Other meanings and usages of the word stock include:
- The wooden arms that the sails of a Windmill are fitted to.
- The American form of repertory theatre as practiced in England.
- A wide necktie popular in the eighteenth century, often seen today as a part of formal wear for horse riding competitions.
- Stocks, a device used for public humiliation, punishment, and torture.
- A grappling term for a type of spinal lock.
- Stock (firearm)
- The distinction between stock and flows, a core concept of System dynamics
- Stock in geology refers to a medium sized igneous intrusion with outcrop area less than about 100 km².
- Fish stocks refers to a fish population in a defined area which is of interest to fishery managers.
References[change | change source]
| This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Stock.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.