|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: stock.|
Supply and inventory[change | change source]
Stock in general refers to the equipment, materials, or supplies of an establishment or a store or supply accumulated or available, as in:
- Livestock kept on a farm.
- Stock (food), a soup and flavoring base
- Inventory, a term for "finished goods", or sometimes raw material kept in storage.
- Stock (cards),the common pile of undealt playing cards from which players draw in a number of card games.
- Stock media, set material which can be used by other people (and is sometimes created for the purpose), either for free or for a set fee. Examples include:
- Rolling stock as used in railway operation
- Stock, the base material used in some fabrication work, such as wood for woodworking or the metal used in a welding application.
Original[change | change source]
Stock may also mean the original (as a person, race, or language) from which others derive, as in:
- Rootstock, a stump used for grafting
- (Linguistic) stock, a group of related languages or language families
Names[change | change source]
Stock or stocks is also the name of:
- Stock, Essex is a village in the county of Essex, England.
- Stocks House is a country house in Aldbury, Hertfordshire which was the setting for the album cover of Oasis' Be Here Now
- Stock (publishing house)
- Matthiola incana, a flower
- An album by Japanese singer Akina Nakamori; see STOCK (music)
- Robert Stock, German entrepreneur
Other usages[change | change source]
Other meanings and usages of the word stock include:
- The wooden arms that the sails of a Windmill are fitted to.
- The American form of repertory theatre as practiced in England.
- A wide necktie popular in the eighteenth century, often seen today as a part of formal wear for horse riding competitions.
- Stocks, a device used for public humiliation, punishment, and torture.
- A grappling term for a type of spinal lock.
- Stock (firearm)
- The distinction between stock and flows, a core concept of System dynamics
- Stock in geology refers to a medium sized igneous intrusion with outcrop area less than about 100 km².
- Fish stocks refers to a fish population in a defined area which is of interest to fishery managers.
References[change | change source]
| This disambiguation page lists articles with similar titles.
If a link brought you here, you can go back and fix it so it goes straight to the right page.