Super Bowl XLII
|Super Bowl XLII|
|Date||February 3, 2008|
|Stadium||University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona|
|Favorite||Patriots by 12|
|National anthem||Jordin Sparks|
|Coin toss||Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, along with Bill Walsh's children, Craig and Elizabeth.|
|Halftime show||Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers|
|TV in the United States|
|Announcers||Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Pam Oliver and Chris Myers|
|Nielsen ratings||43.3 |
(est. 97.5 million viewers)
|Market share||65 (national)|
67 (New York)
|Cost of 30-second commercial||US$2.7 million|
Super Bowl XLII (or Super Bowl 42) was a Super Bowl game between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots in the National Football League (NFL) to decide who would be the NFL champion for the 2007 season. The Giants won against the Patriots 17–14.
The game was played on February 3, 2008 at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. The win gave the Giants their third Super Bowl title and their first since the 1990 NFL season at Super Bowl XXV. Eli Manning was named the Super Bowl MVP.
The Patriots entered Super Bowl XLII as the 12-point favorites because they completed the regular season undefeated with 16 wins and no losses. The Giants had ended the season with a record of 10–6 and were trying to become the first NFC wild card team to win a Super Bowl. Super Bowl XLII is regarded as one of the biggest upsets in sports history.
The game ended with a fourth-quarter drive by the Giants to win the game. The drive featured David Tyree making a leaping one-handed catch against his helmet for a 32-yard gain and Plaxico Burress scoring the winning touchdown on a 13-yard reception with 35 seconds in the game remaining.
The Giants have stopped the Patriots perfect season run as well as stopping them from going 19-0.
References[change | change source]
- Tasch, Justin (January 28, 2014). "Super Bowl XLII: New England Patriots' perfect ending spoiled by Eli Manning, NY Giants". New York Daily News. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "Mike Carey to become first black referee at Super Bowl". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. January 30, 2008. Retrieved June 03, 2014. Check date values in:
- Gasper, Christopher (February 4, 2008). "Patriots' bid for perfect season ends in Giants' upset". The Boston Globe. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "Giants' staggering win over Patriots watched by record 97.5 million". ESPN. February 5, 2008. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Who's Buying What in Super Bowl XLII". Advertising Age. December 14, 2007. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Eli keeps Super Bowl MVP Award in Family". NFL. Retrieved 2014-6-4. Check date values in:
- "Greatest Upsets In Sports History: NY Giants 17, New England 14". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2014-6-4. Check date values in:
- "Inside a Moment in Time: A Supernatural Catch". ESPN. Retrieved 2014-6-4. Check date values in:
- "Super Bowl Rewind: NY Giants 17, New England Patriots 14 — David Tyree catch sets up game-winning TD". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2014-6-4. Check date values in: