Newa vs. Newar[change source]
It appears that Newar is the term more commonly in use:
- The references with which this page was created use Newar.
- From the existing Wikidata item:
- The English and Spanish WP pages use the equivalent of "Newa'r people".
- The links to all Wikipedia projects (except Italian and Dutch) use the letter for the sound of [r]
- The Wikimedia Commons category Newa people doesn't show the reason for this spelling (with "people")
- Newa is the native terminology and more commonly used
- Newa is the terminology used by the native people to refer themselves and the Newa Dey Daboo the national and officially recognized organization of Newa people use the native terminology.
- The Wikipedia article was originally in the category Newa, and in a wave 2016, it was systematically turned as Newar.
- The native Wikipedia, in their own language uses the term 'Newa'
- — Preceding unsigned comment added by EkniBhattaKhas (talk • contribs) 13:42, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
Page name in English language[change source]
What are scholars and journalists using when writing in the English language about the Newa[r people]? The English language doesn't use the native language names for people of other countries, e.g. dem deutschen Volke for "the German people," les Français for "the French," and so on. We need academic English for the page name and category in both English and Simple English WPs. Other spellings can be set up as "redirects" to the main spelling of the page/category name. The text of the Newa page itself right now is not consistent. Look also at the sources being cited as references. -- Deborahjay (talk) 14:01, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- When in doubt I tend to follow en.wiki until something can be shown that something else is better as they have many more eyes on such things. That being said there is no requirement for consistency across projects we often vary from en.wiki on purpose. In this case I think its pretty clear Newar is the use in the English language, we don't go by native uses. -DJSasso (talk) 14:41, 13 December 2018 (UTC)