|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Woman article.|
Definition pertaining to trans women.[change source]
I am personally in favour of including trans women by the general use of the word 'woman'.
However as far as I am aware this is not officially yet the case according to a majority of authoritative sources. I will cite 2 below.
Miriam Webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woman 1 a: an adult female person
Their definition of 'female' refers clearly to biological sex and reproduction.
Oxford English Dictionary: https://www.oed.com/oed2/00286737
I. 1. a. An adult female human being. (The context may or may not have special reference to sex or to adult age: cf. man n.1 4 a, c, d.)
I understand the note in parentheses to mean that trans women may be included depending on context. This is different from being generally included, which is the point at hand.
Aware that this is a sensitive issue I wish to open the topic to discussion before making changes. I would respectfully encourage everyone to refrain from emotional or provocative statements in this discussion. A decision should be based on relevant authoritative sources and not on personal perspective.
One possible solution would be to add a line stating that there is discussion at present about broadening the definition to be trans-inclusive. Suggestions for good sources on this point would be fantastic.
Isidoreo (talk) 15:31, 25 October 2021 (UTC)
- Much as I want to be gender-inclusive, I think what you want will be difficult. We are not talking aboutfinding any source, we are talking about finding a good/reliable source. Once the source is there, we can then try putting what is in the source in Simple language. --Eptalon (talk) 18:37, 25 October 2021 (UTC)
Needs a lot of work, really...[change source]
Hello all, I am not anti-LGBT, or against giving women equal chances to men in society. But this article lacks a lot. I'll quickly summarize:
- They look different; no matter what, we need a picture of a naked woman, ideally labelling the different parts.
- Once they are adult, they'll go through a menstrual cycle for many years. Needs mentioning.
- Together with a man, they can make babies. Likely needs an explanation.
- They bear children, this takes 38 weeks of pregnancy,usually. After getting the children they breast-feed and often educate them. So we need a picture of a woman with a child.
So before worying about being gender-inclusive, this article needs other work too Eptalon (talk) 18:54, 18 March 2023 (UTC)
- There are two large images of naked women on this page, and no images of naked men on Man. That's not right. Lights and freedom (talk) 21:44, 18 March 2023 (UTC)
- @Lights and freedom: I have inserted a comparison image into Man. Justarandomamerican (talk) 21:54, 18 March 2023 (UTC)
I would also suggest adding the following:
- Women at work: In most countries, women will work in some way or another. They will usually be trained for the work they do. It should also be mentioned that there are certain jobs where women are found more often. Don't forget, in most countries, half of the workforce are women...
- Women in politics: There are many women who have been successful politicians...
- Women in science: Several women have done research, and they have been successful in what they did.
Anything else left out?--Eptalon (talk) 09:22, 20 March 2023 (UTC)