The Uzi is a type of submachine gun (SMG). It is famous for being very small and easy to carry, much more easily than any SMG made in World War II. It does this by loading magazines inside the grip, much like a pistol. It was not the first submachine gun to do this, but the Uzi was the first used on a large scale.
There are different kinds of Uzis: Mini Uzi, which is a smaller version of the Uzi; Micro Uzi, which is only slightly larger than a standard pistol; Para Micro Uzi, which was made for Counter Terrorist Units; and the Uzi Pistol, which is semi-automatic (it fires one bullet every time you pull the trigger). All of these kinds of Uzis are still in use by the special forces today. It is slowly being replaced by the MP-5.
History[change | change source]
Uzis were invented by an Israeli army officer, Uziel Gal. This gun was first used in 1956. Uzis were used in the 1967 Six Day War by Israel. They are made by Israel Military Industries and also by the Belgian weapon company, FN.
Even though Uziel Gal told his manufacturers not to name the weapon after him, they ignored his request and did so anyway.
References[change | change source]
- Lee E. Russel (1985). Grenade 1983. p. 39.
- Miller, David (2001). The Illustrated Directory of 20th Century Guns. London: Salamander Books. pp. 391–393. ISBN 1-84065-245-4. OCLC 59522369.
- McManners, Hugh (2003). Ultimate Special Forces. New York: DK Publishing. p. 157. ISBN 0-7894-9973-8. OCLC 53221575.
- "Firearms". The Uzi Official Website. Uzi Brands International. Archived from the original on 1 August 2013. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- Popenker, Max R. (27 October 2010). "UZI / Mini UZI / Micro UZI submachine gun (Israel)". World Guns: Modern Firearms & Ammunition. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "The Uzi official website". uzi.com. 2011. Archived from the original on 5 October 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Israel Weapon Industries (I.W.I.): Mini Uzi and Micro Uzi Archived 2012-05-10 at the Wayback Machine
- The official Uzi website Archived 2010-11-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Uzi history, parts, discussion forum
- Uzi in parts (in German)
- Uzi history and lore Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Video of Uzi being fired (Japanese audio)
- Video of suppressed Uzi being fired