1982 Lebanon war
||This article has many issues. Please help fix them or discuss these issues on the talk page.
|1982 Lebanon War|
|Part of Israeli–Palestinian conflict and Lebanese Civil War|
Lebanese troops in Beirut, 1982
Other armed groups:
|Commanders and leaders|
(Ministry of Defence)
(Army Chief of Staff)
(Israeli Air Force)
(Israeli Sea Corps)
(Chairman of the PLO)
(Minister of Defense)
300 artillery pieces
100 anti-aircraft guns
125 SAM batteries
350+ artillery pieces
250+ anti-aircraft guns
|Casualties and losses|
|Syrian & Palestinian combatants:
See Casualties below.
|Civilians: See Casualties below.|
The 1982 Lebanon war was part of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict and the Lebanese Civil War. It began on 6 June 1982. Its another name in Israel is the Operation Peace for Galilee. It was later known as the Lebanon war or First Lebanon war. It began when the Israel Defense Forces attacked the southern Lebanon. The Government of Israel started the military operation after that the Abu Nidal Organization, Fatah, tried to assassinate Israel's ambassador to the United Kingdom, Shlomo Argov. This assassination was used by Begin as a reason for attacking the southern Lebanon.
References[change | edit source]
- Gabriel, Richard , A, Operation Peace for Galilee, The Israeli-PLO War in Lebanon, New York: Hill & Wang. 1984, p. 167, 168, ISBN 0-8090-7454-0
- Hirst, David (2010). Beware of Small States. NationBooks. pp. 144–145. ISBN 978-1-56858-657-1.
- The May 17 Agreement Best in Lebanon
- 114 Agreement between Israel and Lebanon- 17 May 1983 Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Morris, p. 559
- "In the Spotlight: PKK (A.k.a KADEK) Kurdish Worker's Party". Cdi.org. http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/pkk-pr.cfm. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "Abdullah Öcalan en de ontwikkeling van de PKK". Xs4all.nl. http://www.xs4all.nl/~kicadam/kurdistan/2_99/ocalan.html. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "a secret relationship". Niqash.org. http://www.niqash.org/content.php?contentTypeID=75&id=2285&lang=0. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Lorch, Netanel. "The Lebanon War: Operation Peace for Galilee (1982)". Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs. http://mfa.gov.il/MFA/AboutIsrael/History/Pages/Operation%20Peace%20for%20Galilee%20-%201982.aspx. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- Kahalani, A Warriors Way, Shapolsky Publishers (1994) pp. 299–301
- Harvey W. Kushner, Encyclopedia of terrorism Sage Publications (2003), p.13