1982 Lebanon War
|1982 Lebanon War|
|Part of Israeli–Palestinian conflict and Lebanese Civil War|
Lebanese troops in Beirut, 1982
Other armed groups:
|Commanders and leaders|
(Ministry of Defence)
(Army Chief of Staff)
(Israeli Air Force)
(Israeli Sea Corps)
(Chairman of the PLO)
(Minister of Defense)
300 artillery pieces
100 anti-aircraft guns
125 SAM batteries
350+ artillery pieces
250+ anti-aircraft guns
|Casualties and losses|
|Syrian & Palestinian combatants:
See Casualties below.
|Civilians: See Casualties below.|
The 1982 Lebanon war was part of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict and the Lebanese Civil War. It began on 6 June 1982. Israel called it Operation Peace for Galilee. It was later known as the Lebanon war or First Lebanon war. The war started when the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) attacked southern Lebanon. On 3 June 1982 the Abu Nidal organization, Fatah, tried to assassinate Israel's ambassador to the United Kingdom, Shlomo Argov. They did it in to hurt the PLO's reputation. At the time, however, Israel believed it was the PLO behind the attempt. The shooting of the ambassador was the trigger that caused Israel’s invasion of Lebanon.
References[change | change source]
- Gabriel, Richard , A, Operation Peace for Galilee, The Israeli-PLO War in Lebanon, New York: Hill & Wang. 1984, p. 167, 168, ISBN 0-8090-7454-0
- Hirst, David (2010). Beware of Small States. NationBooks. pp. 144–145. ISBN 978-1-56858-657-1.
- The May 17 Agreement Best in Lebanon
- 114 Agreement between Israel and Lebanon- 17 May 1983 Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Morris, p. 559
- "In the Spotlight: PKK (A.k.a KADEK) Kurdish Worker's Party". Cdi.org. http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/pkk-pr.cfm. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "Abdullah Öcalan en de ontwikkeling van de PKK". Xs4all.nl. http://www.xs4all.nl/~kicadam/kurdistan/2_99/ocalan.html. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "a secret relationship". Niqash.org. http://www.niqash.org/content.php?contentTypeID=75&id=2285&lang=0. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Lorch, Netanel. "The Lebanon War: Operation Peace for Galilee (1982)". Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs. http://mfa.gov.il/MFA/AboutIsrael/History/Pages/Operation%20Peace%20for%20Galilee%20-%201982.aspx. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- Robin Wright (2 August 2014). "Another Siege: Israel’s War on the P.L.O.". The New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/another-summer-another-siege-israels-war-p-l-o. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- The Canadian Press (22 May 2015). "Today in History – June 3". Pacific Newspaper Group. http://www.vancouverdesi.com/news/today-in-history-june-3/882485/. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Harvey W. Kushner, Encyclopedia of terrorism Sage Publications (2003), p.13