2021 Israel–Palestine crisis
This article is about a current event.
On 6 May 2021, a conflict began between Palestinian protesters and the Israeli police over a planned Supreme Court of Israel decision about the evictions of Palestinians in Sheikh Jarrah, a neighborhood of East Jerusalem. It lead Hamas to launch rockets onto Israeli cities. The clashes injured more than 300 people, mostly Palestinian civilians.
Conflict[change | change source]
Protests began on 6 May in Sheikh Jarrah. On 8 May, crowds threw rocks at Israeli police and chanted "Strike Tel Aviv" and "in blood, we will redeem al-Aqsa". On 9 May, Israeli police stormed the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in response to stone-throwing Palestinian crowds. In response, on May 10, Hamas and the Islamic Jihad started firing rockets into Israel. Israel responded with airstrikes into Gaza.
Victims[change | change source]
Since 10 May, 62 Palestinians were killed, including fourteen children, and 335 more were wounded. According to the Israel Defense Forces, at least fifteen of Palestinian casualties were Hamas members, and some were killed by Palestinian rockets. Israel reported that Palestinian rockets hit homes and a school, killing four Israeli civilians and an Indian citizen who lived in the country and injuring at least 70 Israeli civilians.
Ceasefire[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Kingsley, Patrick (2021-05-09). "Israeli Court Delays Expulsion of Palestinian Families in East Jerusalem". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- Kingsley, Patrick; Kershner, Isabel (10 May 2021). "After Raid on Aqsa Mosque, Rockets from Gaza and Israeli Airstrikes". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 May 2021.
- "TV: Palestinians stocked rocks for Temple Mount riots, police caught unawares". The Times of Israel. 8 May 2021. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- Alexander Smith, Lawahez Jabari and Paul Goldman (11 May 2021). "33 killed in Israeli airstrikes, Hamas rocket attacks as unrest spreads beyond Jerusalem". NBC News.
- "As Israelis and Palestinians Battle, Rockets and Airstrikes Intensify". The New York Times. 2021-05-11. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- Gross, Judah Ari. "1 killed, 3 injured as Hamas fires anti-tank missile at Israeli jeep". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- "Two Israelis ded, over 90 injured after rockets strike Ashkelon, Ashdod". The Jerusalem Post. 11 May 2021. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- "1 dead, 3 hurt as 'largest ever' Hamas barrage hits Ashdod, Ashkelon". Ynet. 2021-05-11. Retrieved 2021-05-11.
- "Israel approves Gaza ceasefire to halt 11-day conflict". The Guardian. 2021-05-20. Retrieved 2021-05-20.