Vinje is a municipality in Norway. It is in the county of Telemark. The administration of this place is done from Åmot.
Notable people from Vinje[change | change source]
- Terje Håkonsen, snowboarder
- Aslak Brekke, kveder ( a type of folk musician )
- Myllarguten, or Targjei Augundsson (1801-1872), Master fiddler / artist
- Odd Nordstoga,popular musician
- Aasmund Olavsson Vinje, author
- Tarjei Vesaas, author
- Dyre Vaa, sculptor. Sculptures by him are found in Oslo and Vinje.
- Aslaug Vaa, author
Places of interest[change | change source]
Vinje is the home of folk musician Myllarguten. His home there is now a small museum. A monument of Myllarguten is located near Kosi. Myllarguten was a 19th-century musician. He who played for kings and inspired Edvard Grieg.
History[change | change source]
Vinje was established in 1838 as a municipality. It is on the Hardangervidda and on the Setesdalsheiane Mountains plateaus.
Arabygdi lies in the western part of Rauland. IT is on Lake Totak. The largest stone scree in Northern Europe, with huge boulders lying on the floor of the valley is here. "Urdbøuri", is the name of this famous place.
The name[change | change source]
The municipality Vinje (originally the parish) is named after the old farm Vinje (Norse Vinjar), since the first church was built here. The name is the plural form of vin f 'meadow, pasture'.
Related pages[change | change source]