Won't You Be My Neighbor? (movie)
Won't You Be My Neighbor? is a 2018 documentary movie directed by Morgan Neville. It is about the life and philosophy of Fred Rogers, the host and creator of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. The trailer was released on what would have been Rogers' 90th birthday, March 20, 2018.
It has made $22 million in the box office making it the highest grossing biographical-documentary of all time.
It was nominated for numerous awards, won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Documentary Feature, and was chosen by Time magazine as one of its top ten films of 2018.
Background[change | change source]
In November 2018, Morgan revealed that the original title of the movie was The Radical Mister Rogers, but after the election of Donald Trump, the term "radical" had a negative connotation according to Morgan.
On July 27, 2018 the movie became the highest-grossing biographical documentary of all-time, and on August 12 passed Bowling for Columbine to become the 12th-highest-grossing documentary overall.
Cast[change | change source]
- Joanne Rogers as herself.
- François Clemmons as himself.
- Yo-Yo Ma as himself.
- Joe Negri as himself.
- Tom Junod as himself.
- David Newell as himself.
- Fred Rogers as himself in archival recordings.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Evans, Greg (20 March 2018). "'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Trailer: Mister Rogers Reveals Guiding Force". deadline.com. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- News, A. B. C. (21 March 2018). "'Won't You Be My Neighbor' trailer reveals 'radical' Mister Rogers". ABC News. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- McClintock, Pamela (July 27, 2018). "Box-Office Milestone: 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Becomes Top-Grossing Biodoc". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Zacharek, Stephanie (November 15, 2018). "The Top 10 Movies of 2018". Time. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- "'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Director Changed Doc Title After Trump's Election". The Hollywood Reporter. November 10, 2018. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- "Won't You Be My Neighbor? (PBS Premiere)". PBS. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 12, 2018). "August Audiences Get Hooked On 'Meg' Shelling Out $44.5M". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
Other websites[change | change source]