Worth County, Missouri
Worth County Courthouse in Grant City
Location within the U.S. state of Missouri
Missouri's location within the U.S.
|Founded||February 8, 1861|
|Named for||William J. Worth|
|Largest city||Grant City|
|• Total||267 sq mi (690 km2)|
|• Land||267 sq mi (690 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2) 0.08%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||8.1/sq mi (3.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Worth County is a county in the northwestern part of the U.S. state of Missouri. The county seat is Grant City. In 2010, 2,171 people lived there that makes it the smallest county in the state by population. The county was organized on February 8, 1861 and named for General William J. Worth, who served in the Mexican–American War. Worth County is the youngest county in the state.
Geography[change | change source]
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 267 square miles (690 km2), of which 267 square miles (690 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) (0.08%) is water. It is the smallest county in Missouri by area. Iowa is located to the north of Worth County.
Bordering counties[change | change source]
- Taylor County, Iowa – northwest
- Ringgold County, Iowa – northeast
- Harrison County – east
- Gentry County – south
- Nodaway County – west
Communities[change | change source]
Cities[change | change source]
Villages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- Eaton, David Wolfe (1918). How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named. The State Historical Society of Missouri. p. 372.
- "What are the Origins of Missouri Counties?". State of Missouri. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Archived from the original on October 21, 2013. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Worth County, Missouri.|
- Digitized 1930 Plat Book of Worth County Archived 2011-08-16 at the Wayback Machine from University of Missouri Division of Special Collections, Archives, and Rare Books]
- Official website of Worth County, Missouri