From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1740s 1750s 1760s – 1770s – 1780s 1790s 1800s|
|Years:||1774 1775 1776 – 1777 – 1778 1779 1780|
- The Cornish language died out
- 2nd edition of Encyclopædia Britannica published
- January 3 – American Revolutionary War: American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- January 12 – Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California
- January 16 – Vermont declares its independence from New York becoming an independent country, a status it retained until it joined the United States as the 14th state in 1791
- June 13 – American Revolutionary War: Marquis de Lafayette lands near Charleston, South Carolina to help the Continental Congress train its army.
- June 14 – Stars and Stripes adopted by the Continental Congress as the Flag of the United States.
- August 16 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Bennington – British forces are defeated by American troops.
- September 3 – Cooch's Bridge – Skirmish of American Revolutionary war in New Castle County, Delaware where the Flag of the United States was flown in battle for the first time.
- September 11 – Battle of Brandywine – Major American Revolutionary war victory for British in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- September 19 – American Revolutionary War: First Battle of Saratoga/Battle of Freeman's Farm/Battle of Bemis Heights.
- October 4 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Germantown– Troops under George Washington are repelled by British troops under Sir William Howe.
- October 17 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Saratoga– American troops defeat the British.
- November 15 – American Revolutionary War: After 16 months of debate, the Continental Congress approves the Articles of Confederation in the temporary American capital at York, Pennsylvania.
- November 17 – Articles of Confederation submitted to the states for ratification.
- November 29 – San Jose, California founded. It is the first pueblo in Spanish Alta California.
- December 24 – Kiritimati discovered by James Cook
- The code duello is adopted at the Clonmell Summer Assizes as the form for pistol duels in Ireland. It is quickly denounced but nevertheless widely adopted throughout the English-speaking world.
- for more information, see Category:1777 births.
- for more information, see Category:1777 deaths.