From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||10s 20s 30s – 40s – 50s 60s 70s|
|Years:||38 39 40 – 41 – 42 43 44|
|Ab urbe condita||794|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
— to —辛丑年十一月二十日
|- Vikram Samvat||97–98|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3142–3143|
|Iranian calendar||581 BP – 580 BP|
|Islamic calendar||599 BH – 598 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1871 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||584|
Events[change | edit source]
- January 24 – Roman Emperor Gaius Caesar (Caligula), known for his strange and cruel behaviour, is assassinated by his unhappy Praetorian Guards.
- January 24 – Claudius succeeds his nephew Caligula as Roman Emperor.
- January 25 – After a night of decision, Claudius is made Roman Emperor by the Senate.
- Claudius makes Agrippa king of Judea.
- Messalina, wife of Claudius, persuaded Claudius to have Seneca the Younger banished to Corsica on a charge of adultery with Julia Livilla.
- Claudius restores religious freedom to the Jews throughout the empire, but he says Jews must not try to win converts in Rome.
- An attack across the Rhine by the Germans is stopped by the Romans.