Aldgate tube station
Location of Aldgate in Central London
|Local authority||City of London|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||4|
|OSI||Fenchurch Street |
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|18 November 1876||Opened|
|Lists of stations|
The station is on the Circle Line between Tower Hill and Liverpool Street. It is also the eastern terminus of the Metropolitan line. It is in Travelcard Zone 1, and its ticket office is part-time only.
Platforms 1 and 4 at Aldgate are two of the only three platforms on the network to be served exclusively by the Circle Line (the other being Platform 2 at Gloucester Road). All other Circle Line platforms are shared by the District, Metropolitan and/or Hammersmith & City Lines.
In Literature[change | change source]
Aldgate tube station is important in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes story The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans. In the story, Cadogan West is found dead on the tracks near the station. We later know that the body was placed on top of the train before its arrival at the station.
Gallery[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Aldgate tube station|
Related pages[change | change source]
- Butt, R.V.J. (October 1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st Edition ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers.
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards Baker Street
References[change | change source]
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (Microsoft Excel). Transport for London. May 2010. http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/35338/response/87510/attach/2/OSIs%20with%20times%20May%2010.xls. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2009". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/modesoftransport/tube/performance/entriesandexits.asp?id=2&agekey=2009. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/modesoftransport/tube/performance/entriesandexits.asp?id=2&agekey=2010. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2014. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/multi-year-station-entry-and-exit-figures.xls. Retrieved 27 July 2014.