Dayana Sabrina Mendoza Moncada (born June 1, 1986 in Caracas, Venezuela) is a model and beauty pageant titleholder. She won the titles of Miss Venezuela 2007, and Miss Universe 2008.
Career[change | change source]
She also participated in the fifth season of The Celebrity Apprentice (corresponding to the season twelve of The Apprentice), a program hosted by Donald Trump.
She was the representative of Amazonas state in the Miss Venezuela 2007. She earned the band Miss Integral and was crowned on September 13, 2007 as quincuagésimaquinta (55th) Miss Venezuela. She was the second Miss Venezuela to win representing Amazonas state.
On July 14, 2008, Dayana won the title Miss Universe 2008 during the pageant held in Nha Trang, Vietnam. With the victory, Venezuela equaled in second place in Puerto Rico in the number of crowns obtained as a country.
Controversies[change | change source]
Modeling photos[change | change source]
After photos of Mendoza modeling naked for a jewelry firm surfaced, officials from the Miss Universe Organization decided against penalizing her, saying that the candid photos were not pornographic but "artistic in nature, and they don't have an ounce of pornographic content to them."
Guantanamo Bay visit[change | change source]
On 27 March 2009, Mendoza documented a visit to Guantanamo Bay detention camp on her blog. In it, she was quoted as saying, "Guantanamo was such a relaxing place, so calm and beautiful". She also stated that when she visited the detainees camps, "...we saw the jails, where they shower, how the recreate themselves with movies, classes of art, books. It was very interesting". In her home country, Venezuela, the issue became the talk of the town, with the president, Hugo Chávez, reconsidering the praise he had previously given her. The Miss Universe Organization has replied that "...[her] comments on her blog were in reference to the hospitality she received while meeting the members of the U.S. military and their families who are stationed in Guantánamo". On 1 April 2009, the entry vanished from her blog.
References[change | change source]
- "Dayana Mendoza". Antenna TV / Zap2It / Tribune Media Services. http://people.zap2it.com/p/dayana-mendoza/650088.
- "Miss Venezuela 2007/2008". Global Beauties. http://www.globalbeauties.com/news/2007/sep/vzla.htm.
- "Miss Venezuela is Miss Universe 2008". The Associated Press. http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gx_4EOV12tt247EusNElDQncGOWwD91TDE2G0.
- iht.com, Venezuelans celebrate fifth Miss Universe win
- en.rian.ru, Venezuelan beauty wins title Miss Universe 2008
- english.vietnamnet.vn, Miss Venezuela crowned Miss Universe 2008
- Dayana Mendoza, del estado Amazonas, es la nueva Miss Venezuela. Diario Las Américas, 15 September 2007.
- Dayana Mendoza es coronada Miss Universo 2008
- Miss Universe - Dayana Mendoza Times of India
- "10 stories that could be April Fools... but aren't" BBC News dated 1 April 2009.
- "Miss Universe Visits Guantánamo Bay" The New York Times 30 March 2009.
- "Guantanamo 'fun' - Miss Universe" BBC News dated 1 April 2009.
- "Guantanamo Bay" missuniverse.com dated 31 March 2009.
- "Dayana Mendoza dice que se divirtió mucho en Guantánamo" El Universal dated 1 April 2009.
- "Miss Universe’s Blog Post on Guantánamo Vanishes", The New York Times 1 April 2009.