English Premier League
- "Premiership" redirects here, for a list of the Premier Leagues in the World, see Premier League.
|Number of teams||20|
|Relegation to||Football League Championship|
|Domestic cup||FA Cup
|International cup||Champions League
|Current champions||Manchester City (2011–12)|
|Most successful club||Manchester United (12)|
The Premier League (often referred to as The Premiership in the United Kingdom and English Premier League internationally or Barclays Premier League for sponsorship reasons) is a league competition for English football clubs at the top of the English football league system (above The Football League), making it England's primary football competition. For historic reasons, a few clubs from Wales compete in the English football system, and one of these, Swansea City, has played in the Premier League since 2011–12.
The competition started as the FA Premier League on 20 February 1992 after the decision of clubs in the Football League First Division to break away from The Football League. This was originally founded in 1888. The Premier League has since become the world's most watched sporting league. It is the world's most lucrative football league, with combined club revenues of £1.93 billion ($3.15bn) in 2007–08. It is also ranked first in the UEFA coefficients of leagues. This rating is based on performances in European competitions over the last five years. In this English Premier League is ahead of Spain's La Liga and Italy's Serie A.
A total of 45 clubs have competed in the Premier League, but only five have won the title: Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manchester City. The current champions are Manchester City.
Clubs in the 2012–13 season [change]
|First season in
|Number of seasons
in top division
|Number of seasons
in the Premier League
|First season of
current spell in
|Last top division title|
|Queens Park Rangersa||17th||1968–69||22||6||2011–12||0||n/a|
|West Bromwich Albion||10th||1888–89||76||7||2010–11||1||1919–20|
|West Ham United||Championship3rd:||1923–24||55||17||2012–13||0||n/a|
a: Founding member of the Premier League
b: Never been relegated from Premier League
- 1992/93 : Manchester United
- 1993/94 : Manchester United
- 1994/95 : Blackburn Rovers
- 1995/96 : Manchester United
- 1996/97 : Manchester United
- 1997/98 : Arsenal
- 1998/99 : Manchester United
- 1999/00 : Manchester United
|2002/03||Manchester United||Arsenal||Newcastle United|
|2010/11||Manchester United||Chelsea||Manchester City|
|2011/12||Manchester City||Manchester United||Arsenal|
Other pages [change]
- Campbell, Dennis (6 January 2002). "United (versus Liverpool) Nations". The Observer. http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,626773,00.html. Retrieved 8 August 2006.
- "Premier League revenues near £2bn". BBC. 04 June 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8078533.stm. Retrieved 04 June 2009.
- "UEFA ranking of European leagues". UEFA. 2006. http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2006.html.