Fort Wayne, Indiana
Fort Wayne is a city in the U.S. state of Indiana and the county seat of Allen County. The population was 254,555 as of the 2012 Census estimate making it the 74th largest city in the United States and the second largest in Indiana after Indianapolis. The city is located in northeastern Indiana, approximately 18 miles (29 km) west of the Ohio border and 50 miles (80 km) south of the Michigan border. Under the direction of American Revolutionary War statesman Anthony Wayne, the United States Army built Fort Wayne. It was the last in a series of forts near the Miami tribe village of Kekionga in 1794. Named in Wayne's honor, the settlement established itself as a trading post for European pioneers.
References[change | change source]
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Find_a_County&Template=/cffiles/counties/usamap.cfm. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/popest/data/cities/totals/2012/SUB-EST2012.html. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Fort Wayne, IN to S State Line Rd & State Road 14, Woodburn, 46797 – Google Maps". Google. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Fort+Wayne,+IN&daddr=S+State+Line+Rd+at+State+Rd+14,+Jackson+Township,+IN&hl=en&geocode=FenRcgIdaeDs-ilLgSL_3eQViDGT90J2FHsHgA%3B&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=41.074935,-84.97135&sspn=0.307989,0.615921&ie=UTF8&z=11. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- "Fort Wayne, IN to Windy Shore Dr, Coldwater, MI 49036 – Google Maps". Google. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Fort+Wayne,+IN&daddr=Windy+Shore+Drive,+Coldwater,+MI&hl=en&geocode=FenRcgIdaeDs-ilLgSL_3eQViDGT90J2FHsHgA%3BFeM0fQIdwAzv-inbAMpduysWiDE_dnyVAYMNfg&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=41.759532,-84.996243&sspn=0.076702,0.15398&ie=UTF8&ll=41.424194,-85.067139&spn=1.225363,2.463684&z=9. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Brice, Wallace A. (1868) History of Fort Wayne, from the Earliest Known Accounts of this Point to the Present Period. D.W. Jones & Son.
- "Fort Wayne History". City of Fort Wayne. http://www.cityoffortwayne.org/index.php?Itemid=247&id=99&option=com_content&task=view. Retrieved 2008-09-05.