|Born||25 April 1874
Palazzo Marescalchi, Bologna, Italy
|Died||20 July 1937
|Alma mater||University of Bologna|
|Notable awards||Nobel Prize for Physics (1909)|
Guglielmo Marconi 25 April 1874-20 July 1937) was an Italian inventor, known for being a major part of inventing long distance radio communication and for his development of Marconi's law and a radio telegraph system. Marconi is often named as the inventor of radio, and he shared the 1909 Nobel Prize in Physics with Karl Ferdinand Braun for their help. Much of Marconi's work in radio transmission was built upon previous experimentation and the work by others such as Hertz, Maxwell, Faraday, Popov, Lodge, Fessenden, Stone, Bose, and Tesla. As an entrepreneur, businessman, and founder of The Wireless Telegraph & Signal Company in Britain in 1897, Marconi made a successful business of radio by creating and building on the work of previous experimenters and physicists. In 1924, he was ennobled as Marchese Marconi. Back in Italy, he went on to become a member of the Grand Council of Fascism.
References[change | change source]
- "Guglielmo Marconi – The father of long distance radio communication – An engineer's tribute". http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4137114/4137241/04137304.pdf%3Farnumber%3D4137304&authDecision=-203.
- "Guglielmo Marconi: The Nobel Prize in Physics 1909"
- "Welcome to IEEE Xplore 2.0: Sir J.C. Bose diode detector received Marconi's first transatlanticwireless signal of December 1901 (the "Italian Navy Coherer"Scandal Revisited)". Ieeexplore.ieee.org. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=658778. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- Roy, Amit (2008-12-08). "Cambridge 'pioneer' honour for Bose". The Telegraph (Calcutta: Telegraphindia.com). http://www.telegraphindia.com/1081208/jsp/nation/story_10221833.jsp. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- Williams, H. S., & Williams, E. H. (1910). Every-day science. New York: Goodhue Company. Page 54.
- Icons of invention: the makers of the modern world from Gutenberg to Gates. ABC-CLIO. http://books.google.com/books?id=WKuG-VIwID8C&pg=PA161&dq=British+High+Court+upheld+patent+7777&hl=en&ei=8hc_TujkFubb0QGUvantAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false. Retrieved 07-08-2011.
- Ingenious Ireland: A County-by-County Exploration of the Mysteries and Marvels of the Ingenious Irish. Simon and Schuster. http://books.google.com/books?id=exics12jmtwC&pg=PA313&dq=Marconi+successful+at+commercializing+radio&hl=en&ei=wTpATvudJ9OftgeNzMnFBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false. Retrieved 07-08-2011.