London, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Screenwriter, film producer|
|Relative(s)||Christopher Nolan (brother),
John Nolan (uncle)
Jonathan Nolan is a British-American author and screenwriter. He is the brother of movie director Christopher Nolan. Jonathan Nolan's story Memento Moriwas made into a critically acclaimed film Memento. He has also co-written screenplays for The Prestige and The Dark Knight, with his brother. In movie credits, his name has appeared as Jonah.
Early life[change | edit source]
He was born in London, England, to an English father and American mother. He was raised in the Chicago area. Nolan attended Loyola Academy in Illinois. He graduated from there in 1994, and then graduated from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., in 1999. In this university, he studied English and was a staff writer for The Hoya.
Career[change | edit source]
Nolan tells about successful work relationship with his brother in the production notes of The Prestige: "I’ve always suspected that it has something to do with the fact that he’s left-handed and I’m right-handed, because he’s somehow able to look at my ideas and flip them around in a way that’s just a little bit more twisted and interesting. It’s great to be able to work with him like that."
On March 23, 2007, it was announced he would pen Interstellar, a science fiction film. It is based on the theories of Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist who is known for his theories in gravitation physics and astrophysics and for having trained a generation of scientists. The film is being directed by Steven Spielberg and will release in 2013.[source?]
Nolan is currently working with his brother for The Dark Knight Rises. It is the third Batman movie.[source?]
On February 10, 2011, Nolan's TV pilot Person of Interest had been picked up by CBS and plan was to make it in a TV show. The show was officially picked up by CBS on May 13, 2011, and will star Michael Emerson, Jim Caviezel, and Taraji P. Henson. It will be produced by J. J. Abrams. His company Bad Robot Productions will produce it. Nolan will be the executive producer.[source?]
Works of fiction[change | edit source]
- "Memento Mori" (2001 Short Story) the basis of Memento
- The Prestige (2006) - screenplay (with Christopher Nolan)
- The Dark Knight (2008) - screenplay (with Christopher Nolan)
- Person Of Interest (TV Series 2011–present) - creator/writer
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - screenplay (with Christopher Nolan)
References[change | edit source]
- Production Assistant for the film Memento.
- McGrath, Amanda (May 17, 2002). "Class of 2002 Gathers For Senior Convocation". The Hoya. http://www.thehoya.com/class-of-2002-gathers-for-senior-convocation-1.1887276#.TwaIhjVSQ1s/. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- Jonathan Nolan Interview, The Prestige - MoviesOnline