Although Spielberg began his career in 1963 while learning how to direct, it took Spielberg's first motion-wide movie Jaws helped start his career and become well-known to the American audience in 1975. Later his action adventure Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones would also expand his popularity. His drama and fantasy movie E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial has also helped him succeed in another movie genre.
During his later career, Spielberg Saving Private Ryan and Munich were among his most popular movies. Spielberg has received Academy Award nominations for Best Motion Picture or Best Director for Schindler's List and Lincoln. He only won in Schindler's List. He recently produced Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Men in Black III.
Spielberg was about to make another science fiction movie called Robopocalypse which would have been release in 2014, until they postpone production in 2013. He is going to make another sequel to the Jurassic Park movie series, Jurassic Park IV which will release in 2015.
- Spielberg supports U.S. Democratic Party candidates. He has donated over $800,000 to the Democratic party and its nominees. He has been a close friend of former President Bill Clinton and worked with the President for the USA Millennium celebrations.
- Spielberg resigned as a member of the national advisory board of the Boy Scouts of America in 2001 because of his disapproval of the organization's anti-homosexuality stance.
- On February 20, 2007, Spielberg, Katzenberg, and David Geffen invited Democrats to a fundraiser for Barack Obama. However, on June 14, 2007, Spielberg endorsed Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) for President. While Geffen and Katzenberg supported Obama, Spielberg was always a supporter of Hillary Clinton. However Spielberg directed a video for Obama at the DNC in August 2008 and attended Obama's inauguration.
- In September 2008, Spielberg and his wife offered their support to same-sex marriage, by issuing a statement following their donation of $100,000 to the "No on Proposition 8" campaign fund, a figure equal to the amount of money Brad Pitt donated to the same campaign less than a week prior.
He is friends with director George Lucas, composer John Williams, producers Richard D. Zanuck, Kathleen Kennedy, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and David Brown, actors Harrison Ford, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, Sally Field, Sean Connery, and Hal Holbrook, former Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger, former President Bill Clinton, and President Barack Obama.[source?]
Spielberg won two Academy Awards for best director. In 1986 he won the BAFTA Academy Fellowship Award, a Lifetime Achievement Award. His movie - Schindler's List have won Academy Awards of Best Picture. He was also nominated for an Golden Globe Award, an Screen Actors Guild Award, and an Academy Award recently with his 2012 movie Lincoln.
Movies by Steven Spielberg[change]
- Jurassic Park IV (2014)
- Lincoln (2012)
- Men in Black III (2012)
- War Horse (2011)
- The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
- Real Steel (2011)
- Cowboys & Aliens (2011)
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
- Super 8 (2011)
- Paul (2011)
- True Grit (2010)
- Hereafter (2010)
- Hollywood Don't Surf! (2010)
- The Lovely Bones (2009)
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
- Eagle Eye (2008)
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
- Dhil Maree Tur Teener Chale (2006)
- Munich (2005)
- War of the Worlds (2005)
- The Terminal (2004)
- Catch Me If You Can (2002)
- Minority Report (2002)
- A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (2001)
- Saving Private Ryan (1998) (Academy Award, Best Director)
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
- Amistad (1997)
- Schindler's List (1993) (Academy Award, Best Director, Best Picture)
- Jurassic Park (1993)
- Hook (1991)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- Always (1989)
- Empire of the Sun (1987)
- The Color Purple (1985)
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
- Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) segment: Kick the Can
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- 1941 (1979)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
- Jaws (1975)
- The Sugarland Express (1974)
- American Film Institute. "AFI Life Achievement Award". Afi.com. http://www.afi.com/laa/laa95g.aspx. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- Forbes Billionaire List Forbes.com. Retrieved September 2012.
- "Steven Spielberg Biography". Biography.com. December 18, 1947. http://www.biography.com/articles/Steven-Spielberg-9490621. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "The Clintons' Showbiz Celebration". BBC News. January 1, 2000. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/586684.stm. Retrieved October 21, 2006.
- "Spielberg quits scouts 'over gay ban'". BBC News. April 17, 2001. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/1281309.stm. Retrieved October 30, 2006.
- "Spielberg resigns from Boy Scouts board". Hollywood.com. http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/386418. Retrieved March 10, 2006.
- Obama excites entertainment community By JOCELYN NOVECK, AP National Writer
- "Spielberg Makes Like Pitt, Supports Same-Sex Marriage – E! Online". Uk.eonline.com. September 23, 2008. http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b30446_Spielberg_Makes_Like_Pitt__Supports_Same_Sex_Marriage.html. Retrieved March 2, 2010.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Steven Spielberg|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Steven Spielberg|
- Steven Spielberg at the Internet Movie Database
- Steven Spielberg at the TCM Movie Database
- Steven Spielberg at Allmovie
- Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation (founded by Spielberg)
- Time 100: Steven Spielberg
- Spielberg at 60 – Empire