||The English used in this article may not be easy for everybody to understand. (May 2012)|
Part of a series on
|Jesus · Virgin Mary · Virgin birth · Christmas · Crucifixion · Resurrection · Easter ·
|Church · New Covenant · Apostles · Kingdom · Gospel · Timeline · Paul · Peter
|Bible · Old Testament · New Testament ·
Books · Canon · Apocrypha · Book of Mormon
|Salvation · Baptism · Trinity · Father · Son · Holy Spirit · Christology · Mariology · Apologetics · Eschatology|
|History and traditions|
|Early · Constantine · Councils · Creeds · Missions · Chrysostom · East-West Schism · Crusades · Reformation · Counter-Reformation|
|Preaching · Prayer · Ecumenism · Relation to other religions · Christian movements · Music · Liturgy · Calendar · Symbols · Art · Criticism
Pentecost (πεντηκοστή [‘ημέρα], pentekostē [hēmera]) meaning "the 50th day" in Greek), also called Whitsun, Whitsunday, or Whit Sunday in the United Kingdom and other English-speaking areas, is a holiday and season in the Christian liturgical year. It is the 50th day after Easter (and the 10th day after Ascension Thursday). It is Historically and symbolically related to the Jewish harvest festival of Shavuot. It is to remember the coming of the Holy Spirit to the Apostles and other followers of Jesus as described in the book of Acts in the Bible, as Jesus had promised after he rose from the dead. About 3,000 people were baptized that day, which to many, makes it the real start of the Christian Church.
The date of the Day of Pentecost for 2014 is June 8.
Other pages[change | edit source]
Notes[change | edit source]
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Pentecost|
- A collection of Pentecost prayers (Roman Catholic)
- Christian Resource Institute
- "Pentecost" article from the Catholic Encyclopedia
- "Pentecost" article from the Jewish Encyclopedia
- Secret Conversations with God - Study of Pentecost
- The Feast of Pentecost fulfilment in Sivan of 32 A.D.
- True Pentecost is 50 days from the Sunday following Passover - Not 50 days from Easter.
- Pentecost, Passover and Easter dates: 2000 - 2050
- The Feast of Pentecost: The Firstfruits of God's Harvest
- Photographs of Russian Orthodox Pentecost service
- Holy Pentecost Icon and Synaxarion of the Feast (Eastern Orthodox)
- Feast of Pentecost Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
- Explanation of the Feast from the Handbook for Church Servers (Nastolnaya Kniga) by Sergei V. Bulgakov