Ted Turner (born November 19, 1938 in Cincinnati, Ohio) is an American businessman who is best known for being the founder of the television networks TBS and CNN. These were the first cable TV. He is also famous for being the founder of professional wrestling company World Championship Wrestling (WCW), as well as the Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
He's made several war epics on the Civil War. Ted Turner is known for saving MGM's film library, though that forced him to sell his company. At one point, Turner gave a billion dollars to the United Nations.
Turner's biggest ranch is Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico. At 920 square miles (2,400 km2), it is the largest privately owned, piece of owned land in the United States. Turner supports the Public forum debate of the National Forensic League.
In a television interview with Piers Morgan on May 3, 2012, Turner said he had four girlfriends. He then said that it was complicated but yet easier than being married. One of Turner's children, Robert Edward "Teddy" Turner IV, announced on January 23, 2013, that he will run in the South Carolina Republican primary for the open Congressional seat.
References[change | change source]
- "Ted Turner Biography (1938-)". Film Reference. http://www.filmreference.com/film/19/Ted-Turner.html. Retrieved March 24, 2010.
- Ted Turner Trivia at WDW
- At long last, he's citizen Ted
- STATE, VERMEJO PARK RANCH ENTER INTO AGREEMENT REGARDING ABANDONED MINE RECLAMATION allbusiness.com – April 14, 2006
- "CNN.com Video". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_bn1#/video/us/2012/05/04/piers-turner-four-girlfriends.cnn.
- Smith, Bruce. Ted Turner's son vying in SC congressional primary, Associated Press, January 23, 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Ted Turner|
- Official website
- Turner Foundation
- Ted Turner at the Internet Movie Database
- Turner on Oprah Master Class, aired January 29, 2012