||This article needs more sources for reliability. (December 2011)|
|Directed by||Wachowski Brothers|
|Produced by||Joel Silver|
|Written by||Wachowski Brothers|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Release date(s)|| March 31, 1999
April 9, 1999
The Matrix is a science fiction action movie that was made in 1999. It was written and directed by the Wachowski Brothers. The main actors in the movie are Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Hugo Weaving. The Matrix was followed by two sequels: The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.
The main character is Neo, a hacker. A man named Morpheus shows Neo what the Matrix is. The Matrix is a computer program that is an unreal world. The computer program makes people think that they live in the real world. The machines built the Matrix.
The Matrix is a computer program that tricks people. It uses their bodies to get energy. Before the movie, Neo lives in the computer program of the Matrix. Then, Neo realizes that he is living a false life inside of the Matrix. Neo must fight the Matrix to free the humans. He is trying to let all the humans know the truth - that they are living inside the Matrix.
There is a lot of symbolism in The Matrix. Common sources are Christianity, Buddhism,Hinduism(the concept of maya), the ancient philosopher Plato and Plato's Cave, modern philosophers such as René Descartes, and modern authors such as William Gibson.
Descartes says that maybe humans are brains in jars. A monster is maybe tricking humans. The monster makes humans believe that they are in the real world, but actually humans are simply brains. Humans cannot know what is real.
There are also references to Simulacra and Simulation, a very modern philosophy book by Jean Baudrillard. Baudrillard says that in the modern world, copies of copies are made. "The Real" is gone because people do not know what the first things were. For example, a modern person who eats a chicken did not kill the chicken. That person does not know what a real chicken is. The chicken meat is false because the person did not kill the chicken. The person's reality is the chicken meat.
- Move the letters in "Neo", and "Neo" becomes "one."
- Morpheus is the Greek god who makes dreams.
- King Nebuchadnezzar is the king from Babylon who had many dreams, and he was a *king of change and of understanding the truth.
- The directors, the Wachowski Brothers often use the story “Alice in Wonderland”. Alice falls into a rabbit hole, and she finds a strange world. “Alice in Wonderland” is a story about . The next quote talks about “Alice and Wonderland.”
Symbols in the music of The Matrix[change]
- In the first scene, when Neo is sleeping on his keyboard, "Dissolved Girl" by Massive Attack is playing. The chorus of this song is:
I feel like I've been/ I've been here before
You're not my savior/ but I still don't go
It feels like something that I've done before
I could fake it, but I'd still want more/
- When Neo is in the dance club, the remix of a Rob Zombie song called "Dragula" is playing. The first line of that song is: "Dead, I am the One."
- When Neo is meeting with the Oracle, the quiet music in the background is Duke Ellington's "I'm Beginning To See The Light."
Don Davis made the score (orchestra part with violins and flutes). The Matrix's soundtrack (band music for a movie) includes music from bands such as Rammstein, Rob Dougan, Rage Against the Machine, Propellerheads, Massive Attack, The Prodigy, Rob Zombie, and Marilyn Manson.
Effect of the movie[change]
- Jordison, Sam (2005). The Joy of Sects: An A-Z of Cults, Cranks and Religious Eccentrics: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sects But Were Afraid to Ask, pp 127-9, Robson Books. ISBN 1-86105-905-1
- Morris, Linda (May 19 2005). "They're all God Movies". NPR. http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Theyre-all-god-movies/2005/05/18/1116361618786.html. Retrieved 2006-08-05.
- Kotelawala, Himal (14 June 2008). "Behind Matrixism". The Sunday Times Sri Lanka. http://www.sundaytimes.lk/080615/Mirror/mirror006.html. Retrieved 2008-06-19.