Timeline of World War II
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is Timeline of World War II, which shows the event linked to World War II during 1931-1945.
Before the war[change]
- 1931- September 18: Japan invades the Manchuria region of China, starting Second Sino-Japanese War.
- 1934- August 2: Hitler becomes German head of state.
- January 7: The League of Nations allows Germany to add Saar to its territory.
- March 16: Hitler orders military buildup in Germany
- April: France, Britain, and Italy form the "Stresa Front", set up to defend Austrian independence, and will not allow Germany to change the Treaty of Versailles.
- June 18: The Anglo-German Naval Agreement is signed by Germany and the United Kingdom to limit the size of their navies.
- October 2: Italy invades Ethiopia, beginning the Second Italo–Abyssinian War.
- May 7: Italy add Ethiopia to its territory.
- July 18: Spanish Civil War begins.
- October 25: Rome-Berlin Axis is formed.
- 1937- After Marco Polo Bridge Incident, war between China and Japan continues.
- 1938- September 30: The Munich agreement is signed.
- March 15: Germany invades Czechoslovakia. The country is divided and added to many countries.
- April 1: The Spanish Civil War ends with the nationalist victory. Francisco Franco becomes the head of state.
- May 22: The Pact of Steel between Germany and Italy is signed.
- August 23: The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact between Germany and the Soviet Union is signed. The two secretly agree to divide Eastern Europe between themselves.
- September 1: Germany invades Poland, starting World War II in Europe (European War).
- September 3: Britain and France warns Germany to move all soldiers out of Poland or there will be war. Germany doesn't follow. The two declares war on Germany.
- September 17: The Soviet Union invades Poland from the east.
- October 5-10: Baltic states sign "assistance pacts" with the Soviet Union, allowing it to have soldiers in these countries.
- October 6: Polish fight comes to an end.
- October 20: The "Phoney War" begins.
- November 24: Japan announces the capture of Nanning, the Chinese capital at the time.
- November 30: The Soviet Union invades Finland in the Winter War.
- May 10: Germany invades Belgium, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Winston Churchill becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- May 25: The Allies falls back to Dunkirk. Hitler orders to stop attacking this Allies troops by land.
- May 26: The Allies starts moving their soldiers from Dunkirk. By June 3, more than 300,000 Allies troops are transported to Britain.
- June 2: Norway surrenders.
- June 10: Italy declears war on Britain and France.
- June 18: The Soviet Union occupys Baltic states.
- June 25: France formally surrenders.
- July 10: The Battle of Britain begins.
- September 9: The Italian army in Libya invades Egypt.
- September 27: The Tripartite Pact is signed in Berlin by Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- October 15: Italy invades Greece.
- December 6-9: The Italians are pushed back in Egypt.
- January 16: British troops start to counter-attack on Italian-held Ethiopia.
- March 24: German troops in Africa under Rommel's command wins for the first time. Within three weeks, the Britishs are driven back to Egypt.
- April 6: Germany attacks Yugoslavia and Greece.
- April 27: Greece surrenders.
- May 20: German paratroopers land in Crete. The battle on the island lasts for seven days.
- June 22: Germany invades the Soviet Union with Operation Barbarossa. Many European Axis are also present. German soldiers are sent to Finland.
- September 1: Leningrad is under siege.
- September 19: Kiev is captured.
- October 2: Battle of Moscow begins.
- December 5: German attack on Moscow is canceled. The Soviets start counter-attacking.
- December 7: Japan attacks Pearl Harbor and many South East Asian nations, starting World War II in the Pacific (Pacific War).
- April 18: The Doolittle Raid is launched, bombing Tokyo from the United States
- June 4: Americans defeat Japan at Midway Island.
- February 2: German forces surrender at Stalingrad.
- June 6: American and British soldiers invade Normandy.
- August 25: Paris, France is Liberated
- December 16: German forces attack Americans in Belgium, beginning the Battle of the Bulge.
- United States enters Germany
- May 8: Germany surrenders.
- August 6: First Atomic Bomb is dropped on Hiroshima.
- August 9: Second Atomic Bomb is dropped on Nagasaki.
- August 15: Japan surrenders, ending the war.