Yolanda Saldívar (born September 19, 1960) is an American murderer. She was convicted of Selena's murder in March 1995. Saldívar is currently serving a life sentence in a Texas jail. She will eligible for parole in 2025.
Saldívar was a registered nurse who met with Selena after a concert in 1991. They became friends quickly and Selena offered her a job as her fan club's president and another job, at her boutique (Selena Etc.)[source?]
On March 31 of 1995, Saldívar and Selena met at a hotel room in Corpus Christi, Texas. Selena was there to get the missing documents that Saldívar stole from her. Saldívar claimed she was raped and needed Selena's help. Selena drove Saldívar to the hospital where doctors told Selena that Saldívar was not raped. They drove back to the hotel. Selena asked for the documents one last time. Selena then turned towards the door and tried to leave. Saldívar drew a gun and shot Selena in the back. Selena ran to the hotel lobby where she fell. Staff called 9-1-1.
Saldívar went inside a car after that, and had police surround her as she pointed a gun to her head.
Saldívar's trial for the murder of Selena was followed by the Hispanic community in the United States. It was nicknamed The O.J. trial of Hispanics (albeit that O.J.'s trial occurred years later). She was convicted and sentenced to life in prison soon after. It is believed that Saldívar will never leave prison in her lifetime because of the impact of her crime and the many death threats she has received if she were to ever make parole in 2025 
References[change | edit source]
- "Offender Information Detail Saldivar, Yolanda." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on December 30, 2009. Enter the SID "05422564."
- Sam Howe Verhovek (April 1, 1995). "Grammy Winning Singer Selena Killed in Shooting at Texas Motel". The New York Times: p. 1.
- Yolanda Saldívar found guilty of Selena's murder. CNN, October 23, 1995. Retrieved on September 26, 2010.
- Gun That Killed Singer Is To Be Destroyed. The New York Times, June 8, 2002
- Bennett, David. "Somber Saldivar delivered to prison - Convicted murderer of Tejano star Selena keeps head down during processing." San Antonio Express-News. November 23, 1995. Retrieved on September 26, 2010.
- Trial of Selena's accused murderer begins Monday. CNN, October 9, 1995
- Mary Ann Cavazos (April 1, 2008). Selena's Killer Asks Court to Review Writ. Accessed April 6, 2008.