|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1520s 1530s 1540s – 1550s – 1560s 1570s 1580s|
|Years:||1550 1551 1552 – 1553 – 1554 1555 1556|
Events[change | change source]
- June 26 – Christ's Hospital and King Edward's School, Witley created by Royal Charter
- July 6 – Edward VI of England dies
- July 10 – Lady Jane Grey is proclaimed Queen of England – for the next nine days
- July 18 – Lord Mayor of London proclaims Queen Mary as the rightful Queen – Lady Jane Grey willingly gives up the title of queen.
- August 2 – Battle of Marciano. French forces invading Italy under Marshal Blaise de Monluc are defeated by an imperial army under the Marquis of Marignano and are forced to retreat into Siena, which is besieged by the imperial forces.
- August 3 – Queen Mary arrives in London
- August 22 – Duke of Northumberland, supporter of Jane Grey, executed
- September Protestant bishops in England are arrested and Roman Catholic bishops are restored
- September 23 – The Sadians consolidate their power in Morocco by defeating the last of their enemies
- October 27 – Calvinists burn Michael Servetus as a heretic in Geneva
- Battle of Sievershausen – Elector Maurice of Saxony defeats the Catholic forces of Margrave Albert of Brandenburg-Kulmbach. Maurice is mortally wounded.
- Shanghai is fortified for the first time.