1697 was a common year.
|Centuries:||16th century – 17th century – 18th century|
|Decades:||1660s 1670s 1680s – 1690s – 1700s 1710s 1720s|
|Years:||1694 1695 1696 – 1697 – 1698 1699 1700|
Events[change | change source]
- September 11 – Battle of Zenta, Prince Eugene of Savoy beat the Ottoman army of Mustafa II
- September 20 – The Treaty of Ryswick
- December 2 – St Paul's Cathedral opened in London
- Peter the Great travels in Europe officially with a false identity as "artilleryman Pjotr Mikhailov"
- Use of palanquins increases in Europe
- Christopher Polhem starts Sweden's first technical school.
- The royal castle "Tre Kronor" in Stockholm burns to the ground. A large portion of the royal library is destroyed.
- Karl XII of Sweden is made king at the age of 15.
- Tayasal, capital of the Peten Itza Maya, the last Mesoamerican state which ruled itself, is taken over by Spain
- The Manchu Empire takes over western Mongolia