Adolf Hitler Uunona
Adolf Hitler Uunona is a civil rights activist and politician from Namibia. Also known as “Adolf Hitler of Africa”. He is the councillor of Ompundja constituency of Namibia. He was elected as the regional representative of SWAPO at the constituency of Ompundja in the Oshana regional council elections in 2010, 2015 and also 2020 with 85 percent of the vote. In November 2020, he gained 1,196 votes and won the local election. He became famous in other countries after people discovered he has the same name as Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler.
Uunona says his father probably did name him after Adolf Hitler but does not think he father knew who Adolf Hitler was at the time. "It wasn't until I was growing up that I realised: This man wanted to subjugate the whole world," he said. Uunona usually goes by the first name "Adolf" alone or "Adolf Uunona" while in public. He says he has no plans to change his name. German names like "Adolf" are common in Namibia. This is because Namibia was once a German colony called German South West Africa between the years 1884 and 1915 under the German Empire (Second Reich).
Adolf H. Uunona
|Prime Minister||Saara Kuugongelw|
|Vice President||Nangolo Mbumba|
South West Africa (now Namibia)
References[change | change source]
- Government Gazette of the Republic of Namibia. December 9, 2010, No. 4627
- "New Oshana counselors to serve on management committee". New Era.
- "Namibia: Man named after Adolf Hitler wins local election". BBC News. 2020-12-03. Retrieved 2021-10-12.
- Ndeyanale, Eliaser. "Adolf Hitler defends his name". The Namibian. Retrieved 2021-10-08.
- "Man named Adolf Hitler Uunona wins election in Namibia, says he isn't seeking 'world domination'". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2021-10-08.