It could also be referred to as 'A closed plane figure bound by three or more straight line segments'. It has a number of edges. These edges are connected by lines. A square is a polygon because it has four sides. The smallest possible polygon in a Euclidean geometry or "flat geometry" is the triangle, but on a sphere, there can be a digon and a henagon.
If the edges (lines of the polygon) do not intersect (cross each other), the polygon is called simple, otherwise it is complex.
In computer graphics, polygons (especially triangles) are often used to make graphics.
Gallery[change | change source]
A simple concave hexagon
List of polygons[change | change source]
- Hendecagon (undecagon)
- Dodecagon (duodecagon)
- Tridecagon (triskaidecagon)
- Tetradecagon (tetrakaidecagon)
- Pentadecagon (pentakaidecagon)
- Hexadecagon (hexakaidecagon)
- Heptadecagon (heptakaidecagon)
- Octadecagon (octakaidecagon)
- Enneadecagon (enneakaidecagon)
- Icositetragon (icosikaitetragon)
- Triacontadigon (triacontakaidigon, icosidodecagon)
- Hectogon (hectagon)
- Chiliagon (chiliogon)