Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Died||1 February 2019(aged 97)|
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
|Employer||NPL ICI, Ferranti, ICT, ICL|
Mary Lee Woods
(m. 1954; her death 2017)
|Parent(s)||Helen Lane Campbell Gray and Cecil Burford Berners-Lee|
Conway Maurice Berners-Lee (19 September 1921 – 1 February 2019) was an English mathematician and computer scientist.
He retired in 1986 and died on 1 February 2019 at the age of 97.
References[change | change source]
- Reed Business Information (7 March 1957). New Scientist. Reed Business Information. pp. 43–.
- Conway and Mary Lee Berners-Lee, interviewed by Thomas Lean, 2010-2011, An Oral History of British Science, British Library Sound & Moving Image reference C1379/23 Audio and Transcript (at British Library only but brief Content summary available online).
- Although the Ferranti Mark 1was preceded by the BINAC and the Z4, BINIAC was not designed as a general purpose computer and it was never used for its intended purpose,"Description of the BINAC", citing Annals of the History of Computing, Vol. 10 No. 1 1988, archived from the original on 4 August 2008, retrieved 5 June 2009 and Konrad Zuse's Z4 was electro-mechanical not electronic Dead medium: the Zuse Ziffernrechner; the V1, Z1, Z2, Z3 and Z4 program-controlled electromechanical digital computers; the death of Konrad Zuse, retrieved 5 June 2009
- "Births", The Times, London (42835), p. 1, 26 September 1921
- News Bulletin from the Parish of SS Alban & Stephen
Other websites[change | change source]
- The National Archives: The Ferranti Collection including:
- Linear Programming "Arrives" By Dr. D.G. Prinz & Mr C.M Berners-Lee of Ferranti Ltd. (Paper) 1996.10/6/12/28/10 1957
- The Use of Electronic Computers in the Chemical Industry. By C.M. Berners-Lee 1996.10/6/12/28/28 1959
- The Use of Computers for Optimal Planning. By C.M. Berners-Lee 1996.10/6/12/28/29 1959
- Photograph with colleagues (under Ferranti and ICL)
- An interview with Conway Berners-Lee from the British Library http://www.bl.uk/voices-of-science/interviewees/conway-berners-lee