Walcott at an honorary dinner in Amsterdam, 20 May 2008
Derek Alton Walcott|
23 January 1930
Castries, Saint Lucia
17 March 2017 (aged 87)|
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia
|Occupation||Poet, playwright, professor|
Nobel Prize in Literature |
T. S. Eliot Prize
|Children||Peter Walcott, Elizabeth Walcott-Hackshaw, Anna Walcott-Hardy|
Derek Alton Walcott, OBE OCC (23 January 1930 – 17 March 2017) was a Saint Lucian poet and playwright. He was awarded the 1992 Nobel Prize in Literature. He served as Professor of poetry at the University of Essex until his death in 2017.
His works include the Homeric epic poem, Omeros (1990). In besides to having won the Nobel, Walcott has won many literary awards over the course of his career including an Obie Award in 1971 for his play Dream on Monkey Mountain, a MacArthur Foundation "genius" award, a Royal Society of Literature Award, the Queen's Medal for Poetry, and the 2011 T. S. Eliot Prize for his book of poetry, White Egrets.
Walcott died at his home in St. Lucia on 17 March 2017. He was 87.
References[change | change source]
- Nobel profile
- Poetry Foundation article on Walcott
- "Derek Walcott", Poetry Foundation
- "TS Eliot prize goes to Derek Walcott for 'moving and technically flawless' work", Guardian 24 January 2011
- "Derek Walcott, The Art of Poetry No. 37", The Paris Review Winter 1986
- "Derek Walcott has died". St. Lucia Times. 17 March 2017. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Derek Walcott|
Media related to Derek Walcott at Wikimedia Commons
- British Council writers' profile, works listing, critical review
- Poetry Archive profile, poems written and audio
- Poetry Foundation profile and poems
- Poetry of American Poets profile, poems audio and written
- Profile and analysis, Emory University
- Profile, interviews, articles, archive. Prague Writers' Festival
- Poetry is an island, Derek Walcott, A feature documentary film about the life and times of Derek Walcott set to be released in 2013 with the help of crowd funding on Indiegogo