Division of Batman
Australian House of Representatives Division
|Area||66 km2 (25.5 sq mi)|
The Division of Batman was an Australian Electoral Division in Victoria. It was created in 1906 and replaced the Division of Northern Melbourne. It was abolished in 2019 and replaced by the Division of Cooper.
It took its name from John Batman, one of the founders of the city of Melbourne. At first it covered the inner suburbs of Carlton and Fitzroy, but as the boundaries changed it moved north. It included Alphington, Clifton Hill , Northcote, Preston, Reservoir and Thornbury.
Members[change | change source]
|Henry Beard||Labor||1910–1910||Previously held the Victorian Legislative Assembly seat of Jika Jika. Died in office|
|Frank Brennan||Labor||1911–1931||Served as minister under Scullin. Lost seat|
|Samuel Dennis||United Australia||1931–1934||Lost seat|
|Alan Bird||Labor||1949–1962||Died in office|
|Independent||August 1966 –|
|Horrie Garrick||Labor||1969–1977||Lost pre-selection and retired|
|Brian Howe||Labor||1977–1996||Served as minister and Deputy Prime Minister under Bob Hawke and Paul Keating. Retired|
|Martin Ferguson||Labor||1996–2013||Served as minister under Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard. Retired|
1 February 2018
|Previously a member of the Senate. Disqualified over dual citizenship|
|Labor||Elected in a by-election, 17 March 2018 –
11 April 2019
|Transferred to the Division of Cooper after Batman was abolished in 2019|
Brian Howe was the Deputy Prime Minister in the Hawke and Keating governments. Martin Ferguson was the leader of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) before being elected. David Feeney was elected to the Australian Senate in 2007, and resigned to take up a seat in the House of Representatives.
Election results[change | change source]
- 2004 election result
- 2007 election result
- 2010 election result
- 2013 election result Archived 2013-10-16 at the Wayback Machine
- 2016 election result
References[change | change source]
- "Profile of the electoral division of Batman (Vic)". Current federal electoral divisions. Australian Electoral Commission. 2 October 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Profile of the electoral division of Batman (Vic)". Australian Electoral Commission. 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Tony Abbott's teary farewell to former Labor minister Martin Ferguson". heraldsun.com.au. 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Division of Batman - Australian Electoral Commission
- David Feeney's website Archived 2013-10-30 at the Wayback Machine