|Coordinates: 49°48′42″N 6°25′18″E / 49.81167°N 6.42167°ECoordinates: 49°48′42″N 6°25′18″E / 49.81167°N 6.42167°E|
|• Mayor||Yves Wengler|
|• Total||20.5 km2 (7.9 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||393 m (1,289 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||154 m (505 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Echternach (Luxembourgish: Iechternach) is a commune in eastern Luxembourg, capital of the Echternach canton. It is the oldest town with city rights in Luxembourg.
History[change | change source]
The town grew around the walls of the Abbey of Echternach, which was founded in 698 by St. Willibrord, an English monk from Ripon, Northumbria (in present-day North Yorkshire, England), who became the first bishop of Utrecht and worked to Christianize the Frisians.
The abbey were closed during the French revolution in 1797. Echternach was given city rights in the year 1236.
Geography[change | change source]
Echternach is in the east of the country near the border with Germany, on the banks of the Saar River.
The commune has an area of 20.5 km2 (7.9 sq mi). The altitude is 154–393 m (505–1,289 ft) high. At the city hall, the altitude is 230 m (750 ft) high.
Echternach is surrounded by four communes of Luxembourg: Rosport to the east and south, Bech to the southwest, and Berdorf and Consdorf to the west. To the north, the commune borders the Echternacherbrück municipality of the Bitburg-Prüm district in the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate; and to the northwest the Bollendorf municipality, also in the Bitburg-Prüm district of the Rhineland-Palatinate.
Population[change | change source]
There were 5,530 persons living in the commune in 2017, for a population density of 269.8 inhabitants/km².
Evolution of the population in Echternach
Gallery[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Surface area of the cantons and municipalities". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Population by canton and municipality 1821 - 2017". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- ↑ "Altitudes of the different localities per cantons (in m)". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official website (in French)
- Tourist attractions in Echternach Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Surroundings of Echternach
- Harmonie Municipale Echternach
- Intramuros asbl. - For the development of the historical center of Echternach Archived 2012-03-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Everything about Echternach