Four Asian Tigers
|Four Asian Tigers|
|Literal meaning||Asia's Four Little Dragons|
|Hangul||아시아의 네 마리 용|
|Literal meaning||Asia's four dragons|
The Four Asian Tigers or Asian Dragons are the highly developed economies of Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan. These regions were the first newly industrialized countries. They are known because they had very high growth rates (they became rich very fast) and fast industrialization between the early 1960s and 1990s. Four economies are currently well rich economies (developed countries).
All four Asian Tigers have a highly educated and productive work force compared to others in the region.
The four tigers has accomplished rapid economical growth in a short period of time.
All the Asian Tigers tried to export (sell) products to rich industrialized nations. They grew rich very quickly (they had double-digit economic growth) for decades. Each nation was not a democracy, and people were not very free in the early years. All of these countries later became freer, and people now think Taiwan and Korea are liberal democracies. 
References[change | change source]
- "World Economic Outlook Database April 2017 -- WEO Groups and Aggregates Information". www.imf.org.
- "Can Africa really learn from Korea?". afrol News. 24 November 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-16. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Korea role model for Latin America: envoy". Korean Culture and Information Service. 1 March 2008. Archived from the original on 22 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-16. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Leea, Jinyong (2 September 2008). "Korean economic growth and marketing practice progress: A role model for economic growth of developing countries". Industrial Marketing Management. Elsevier B.V. (subscription required). Retrieved 2009-02-16. Unknown parameter
|author=suggested) (help); CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "East Asian Tigers- Definition". WordIQ.com. 1 February 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-01. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Things you can read[change | change source]
- Ezra F. Vogel, The Four Little Dragons: The Spread of Industrialization in East Asia (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1991).
Other websites[change | change source]
- BBC report on the Asian Tigers in the aftermath of the 1997 Financial Crisis (includes map of the Asian Tigers)
- ASEAN tigers
- The Elephant at the Gate in China Economic Review Archived 2006-04-27 at the Wayback Machine