German federal election, 2017
The 2017 German federal election was held in Germany on 24 September 2017. The Christian Democratic Union won 33% of the vote, but both them and the Social Democratic Party lost many seats. The Alternative for Germany and Free Democratic Party both entered parliament and made great gains.
Parties[change | change source]
Major[change | change source]
These parties have received at least 4% of the national vote in the last German federal election, and are predicted to win seats in this next election.
- Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU): led by Angela Merkel. The party is liberal conservative and pro-European Union. Together with the Christian Social Union of Bavaria (CSU), a conservative party.
- Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD): led by Martin Schulz. The party supports social democracy and is pro-European Union.
- The Left: led by Sahra Wagenknecht and Dietmar Bartsch. The Left is a democratic socialist party.
- Alliance '90/The Greens: led by Katrin Göring-Eckardt and Cem Özdemir. The party supports green politics and is pro-European Union.
- Free Democratic Party (FDP): led by Christian Lindner. The party supports classical liberalism and economic liberalism. The FDP is also pro-European Union.
- Alternative for Germany (AfD): led by Alice Weidel and Alexander Gauland. The party is nationalistic and is against the European Union.
Minor[change | change source]
These parties received at least 1% of the national vote in the last German federal election.
- Pirate Party Germany: led by Patrick Schiffer. The party supports Pirate politics and is socially liberal.
- National Democratic Party of Germany (NDP): led by Frank Franz. The NDP is a neo-Nazi party.
- Free Voters: not a registered political party. The association attracts many conservative voters in the south.
Opinion polls[change | change source]
Results[change | change source]
|Parties||Party list||Total seats|
|Social Democratic Party||9,539,381||20.51%||5.22%||153||40||21.6%|
|Alternative for Germany||5,878,115||12.64%||7.94%||94||94||13.3%|
|Free Democratic Party||4,999,449||10.75%||5.99%||80||80||11.3%|
|Alliance '90/The Greens||4,158,400||8.94%||0.49%||67||4||9.4%|
|Human Environment Animal Protection||374,179||0.80%||0.48%||0||0||0.0%|
|National Democratic Party||176,020||0.38%||0.90%||0||0||0.0%|
Results by state[change | change source]
|State results in %||CDU/CSU||SPD||AfD||FDP||LINKE||GRÜNE||FW||PARTEI||all others|
Voter turnout[change | change source]