|City of Greencastle|
Location of Greencastle in Putnam County, Indiana.
|• Mayor||Bill Dory|
|• Clerk-treasurer||Lynda Dunbar|
|• City council||Greencastle Common Council|
|• Total||5.29 sq mi (13.71 km2)|
|• Land||5.24 sq mi (13.58 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.13 km2)|
|Elevation||843 ft (257 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,959.18/sq mi (756.43/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||435428|
Greencastle is a city in Greencastle Township, Putnam County, Indiana, United States, and the county seat of Putnam County. Before Greencastle became a city in 1861, it was a town. Greencastle, Indiana was founded in year 1821 by a man named Ephraim Dukes after he purchased and later sold some land to the local government. This type of purchase is called a land grant. Ephraim Duke named the settlement for his hometown of Greencastle, Pennsylvania. The population was 10,326 at the 2010 census. It is located near Interstate 70 approximately halfway between Terre Haute and Indianapolis in the west-central portion of the state. Greencastle is well known as being the location of DePauw University.
Demographics[change | change source]
2010 census[change | change source]
As of the census of 2010, there were 10,326 people, 3,368 households, and 1,989 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,970.6 inhabitants per square mile (760.9/km2). There were 3,742 housing units at an average density of 714.1 per square mile (275.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 92.4% White, 2.7% African American, 0.3% Native American, 1.9% Asian, 0.9% from other races, and 1.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.
There were 3,368 households, of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.0% were married couples living together, 12.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 40.9% were non-families. 35.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.93.
The median age in the city was 27.4 years. 19% of residents were under the age of 18; 28.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 19.7% were from 25 to 44; 18.6% were from 45 to 64; and 14.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.7% male and 53.3% female.
References[change | change source]
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 16, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2017-03-20. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Putnam County, IN". National association of counties. 2005. Archived from the original on 2009-09-22. Retrieved 2009-10-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Putnam County Indiana Government Web Pages
- "Greencastle city, Indiana". American factfinder. U.S. census bureau. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2009-10-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)