Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
|"Happy Xmas (War Is Over)"|
|Single by John and Yoko, The Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir|
|B-side||"Listen, the Snow Is Falling"|
|Released||1 December 1971 (US)
24 November 1972 (UK)
|Recorded||October 1971 at Record Plant Studios (New York City, New York)|
|Genre||Rock, pop, Christmas|
|Label||EMI, Parlophone, Apple|
|Producer||Phil Spector, John Lennon, Yoko Ono|
|"Happy Christmas (War Is Over)"|
|Single by Street Drum Corps featuring Bert McCracken|
|from the album The Taste of Christmas|
|Format||7", CD single|
|Producer||Street Drum Corps|
|Street Drum Corps singles chronology|
"Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" is a Christmas song by John Lennon, Yoko Ono and The Plastic Ono Band. The song is a protest about the Vietnam War in 1969. It has become a Christmas standard and has appeared on several Christmas albums.
Notable cover versions[change | change source]
- Céline Dion covered the song on her 1998 album These Are Special Times.
- The Corrs included a live version as a bonus track on the Live in London DVD (2001).
- Sarah McLachlan led off her 2006 Christmas album Wintersong with a cover of this song.
- Maroon 5 recorded a cover version in 2007.
- Drake Bell sang it live in Times Square, NYC to welcome in the new year, 2007.
- *NSYNC recorded a cover version for one of their albums.
- Sarah Brightman recorded her own version as a bonus track for her album A Winter Symphony.
- Thrice, an experimental rock band, has recorded their own version of the song.
- The melody was used during the early 1990s as a musical commercial to promote tourism to Jamaica.