Highways in Puerto Rico
Highway shields for primary, urban primary, secondary and tertiary sections of PR-1.
|Interstates:||Interstate PRnn (PRI-nn)|
|Commonwealth:||Puerto Rico Highway nn (PR-nn)|
The roads in Puerto Rico are divided into four types:
- Primary roads
- Urban primary roads
- Secondary (or inter-municipal) roads
- Tertiary (or local) roads
A highway may contain several types of roads, but the highway will continue to have the same route number. Primary roads have numbers 1 to 99. Secondary roads are numbered 100 to 299. Municipal (tertiary) roads are numbered 300 to 9999.
Interstates[change | change source]
There are three Interstate Highways in Puerto Rico. Together, they total 410 km (250 mi). As with Interstate Highways in Alaska and Hawaii, these routes do not connect to the rest of the United States' Interstate Highway System. However, they still get money from the U.S. government.
These Interstate Highways run along tollways and roads that are not grade-separated, which means drivers must use a specially made group of ramps to get to the road. There are no signs for these Interstate Highways. They are signed as Puerto Rico routes.
The three Interstate Highways in Puerto Rico are:
- Interstate PRI-1 goes from San Juan southwest to Ponce on the shortest route. It goes along Puerto Rico Highway 52 and Puerto Rico Highway 18. It is 71.08 miles (114.39 km) long.
- Interstate PRI-2 goes from San Juan to Ponce along the coast of western Puerto Rico. It goes along Puerto Rico Highway 22 and Puerto Rico Highway 2. It is 138.13 miles (222.30 km) long.
- Interstate PRI-3 goes from San Juan southeast to Ceiba. It goes along Puerto Rico Highway 53. It is 40.56 miles (65.27 km) long.
References[change | change source]
- Autoridad de Carreteras y Transportación (December 22, 2004). "Guias para la Seleccion e Instalaccion de Rotulos de Orientacion (Suplemento al MUTCD 2003" (in Spanish) (PDF). Departamento de Transportación y Obras Públicas. p. 1. http://www.dtop.gov.pr/ACT/NuevaRotulación/GuíasFinalesdiciembre2004A.pdf. Retrieved March 14, 2010.
- "Municipal Ordinance Number 52, Series 2009-2010. Primera Hora" (in Spanish) (PDF). Autonomous Municipality of Ponce. April 28, 2010. p. 59. http://www.visitponce.com/docs/SP/avisos/ordenanza.pdf.
- Autoridad de Carreteras y Transportación Estándares de Ingeniería. "Manual de Diseño" (in Spanish) (PDF). Departamento de Transportación y Obras Públicas. Sections 1-03.01, pp. 1-2. http://www.dtop.gov.pr/ACT/Manual_Especificaciones/ManualDiseño_Cap1.pdf.
- DeSimone, Tony (April 6, 2011). "Table 3: Interstate Routes in Each of the 50 States, District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico". Route Log and Finder List. Federal Highway Administration. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/reports/routefinder/table3.cfm. Retrieved July 4, 2012.
- "Section D: Puerto Rico Highways" (PDF). Latin America Trade and Transportation Study. Mississippi Department of Transportation. March 2001. http://www.gomdot.com/Divisions/IntermodalPlanning/Resources/Programs/ITTS-LATTS/pdf/LATTS/StateReports/PR/SecD.pdf.
- Route Log - Main Routes of the Eisenhower National System Of Interstate and Defense Highways - Table 1