at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival
|Born||Lady Jayne Seymour Fonda
December 21, 1937
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, writer, activist|
Frances Ford Seymour
|Relatives||Peter Fonda (brother)
Bridget Fonda (niece)
Jane Fonda (born December 21, 1937) is an American actress, writer, political activist and former fashion model. She is the daughter of Henry Fonda, who was an actor. She is the sister of Peter Fonda and aunt of Bridget Fonda - both of whom are actors. She has won two Academy Awards for her acting.
Early life[change | change source]
Lady Jayne Seymour Fonda was born in New York City. She is the daughter of actor Henry Fonda and the Canadian-born socialite Frances Ford Seymour Brokaw. According to her father, their surname comes from Italian ancestors who immigrated to the Netherlands. There they intermarried and began to use Dutch given names. She is also of English, Scottish, French-Canadian, German, and Norwegian ancestry. She was named after the third wife of English king Henry VIII, Jane Seymour. Her mother is distantly related to Jane Seymour. She has a brother Peter Fonda. Peter and his daughter Bridget, also became actors.
At the age of 15, Fonda taught dance at Fire Island Pines, New York. She attended the Emma Willard School in Troy, New York, and Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York, but dropped out to become a fashion model.
References[change | change source]
- Goldwert, Lindsay (September 14, 2010). "Jane Fonda is back in her leotard, at 72; iconic actress and fitness guru to debut new fitness DVDs". Daily News. New York. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Henry Fonda, My Life, New York: Dutton, 1981
- The Fonda immigrant ancestor came from Eagum (also spelled Augum or Agum), a village in Friesland, a northern province of the Netherlands. Jellis Douwe Fonda (1614–1659), a Dutch immigrant from Friesland (or Vrysland), immigrated and first went to Beverwyck (now Albany) in 1650; he was the founder of the City of Fonda, New York. See "Descendants of Jellis Douw Fonda (1614–1659)". fonda.org. and "Ancestry of Peter Fonda". genealogy.com. Archived from the original on March 15, 2012.
- Jane: an intimate biography of Jane Fonda, Thomas Kiernan, Putnam, 1973, p. 12
- Citizen Jane: The Turbulent Life of Jane Fonda, Christopher P. Andersen, Dell Pub., 1991, p. 27
- Fonda, 2005, p. 41.
- "SAGE Nets $35K at Annual Pines Fête". fireislandnews.net. June 25, 2008. Archived from the original on December 5, 2008.
- Sonneborn, Liz (2002). A to Z of American women in the performing arts. New York: Facts on File. p. 71. ISBN 0-8160-4398-1.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jane Fonda.|