Friesland (Fryslân in West Frisian, Friesland in Dutch) is a province in the north of the Netherlands. The capital (city) of Friesland is Leeuwarden (Ljouwert in Frisian). People in Friesland speak West Frisian and Dutch. People also speak Frisian in a small part of Groningen (province), and in East Friesland and North Friesland in Germany. In North Holland there is a region called West Friesland, but people who live there are not called Frisians.
Notable Frisians[change | change source]
In Friesland the Frisians live. They are an old ethnic group. Members of this ethnic group are:
- Pier Gerlofs Donia was a giant from Friesland. He was said to be about 7 feet tall (2 meters and 15 centimeters).
- Wijerd Jelckama was a legendary freedom fighter, rebel and warlord who was as tall as his uncle Pier Gerlofs Donia
- Mata Hari was a famous courtesan and spy who was born a Frisian.
- Doutzen Kroes, a Frisian born supermodel, speaks Frisan and encourages people to learn about it.
Population[change | change source]
Anthropometry[change | change source]
Since the late Middle Ages, Friesland is known for the exceptional height of its inhabitants. Even early Renaissance poet Dante Alighieri refers to the height of Frisians in his Divine Comedy when, in the canticle about Hell, he talks about the magnitude of an infernal demon by stating that "not even three tall Frieslanders, were they set one upon the other, would have matched his height".
References[change | change source]
- (in Dutch) Emigration to the United States.
- (in Dutch) Overzicht aantal inwoners Provincie Friesland 1714–2000, Tresoar.
- (in Dutch) Bevolking; geslacht, leeftijd, burgerlijke staat en regio, 1 januari, Statistics Netherlands, 2014.
- "The Dutch are getting taller, and heavier, but Frisians top the list". DutchNews.nl. 2019-11-27. Retrieved 2021-04-16.
- Alighieri, Dante. Divine Comedy, "Inferno", Canto 31, line 64, in The Portable Dante, ed. Paolo Milano, trans. Laurence Binyon, Penguin, 1975 ISBN 0-14-015032-3
Other websites[change | change source]