Limburg / Limbörg / Lèmburg
|Anthem: "Limburg mijn Vaderland"|
"Limburg My Fatherland"
(and largest city)
|• King's Commissioner||Emile Roemer (SP)|
|• Total||2,210 km2 (850 sq mi)|
|• Land||2,148 km2 (829 sq mi)|
|• Water||62 km2 (24 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||323 m (1,060 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
(1 November 2019)
|• Density||521/km2 (1,350/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||NL-LI|
|Religion (2003)||Roman Catholic 78%|
very high · 8th
- Other meanings are at Limburg
It is the only province in the Netherlands which has hills. It is a very old province; the capital city, Maastricht, is over 2000 years old. The Limburgish people do speak Dutch, but they also speak their own dialects called Limburgish. These dialects - especially the ones in the South of Limburg, the normal Dutch people find difficult to understand. These dialects have many influences from German and French. The Limburgish are renowned for their famous vlaai.
Limburger cheese comes from this region.
References[change | change source]
- Limburg is the only province in the Netherlands that informally calls the King's Commissioner a Governor.
- "Oppervlakte". Archived from the original on 2020-01-13. Retrieved 2022-02-17.
- "CBS Statline". opendata.cbs.nl.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
Other websites[change | change source]