January 24, 1920
|Died||May 24, 2018 (aged 98)|
|Cause of death||Heart failure complicated by dementia|
|Known for||Last living cast member and Munchkin of (The Wizard of Oz)|
|Height||4 ft 3 in (130 cm)|
(1975-2011; her death)
The other surviving munchkin cast member was Ruth Robinson Duccini until she died in 2014. Maren is the last surviving male dwarf Munchkin from the movie and later the only living Munchkin actor since the death of Duccini. Maren retired from public appearances in September 2011.
Early life[change | change source]
Career[change | change source]
In the 1950s, Maren worked as a Little Oscar for the Oscar Mayer Company and as Buster Brown in television and radio commercials. Later he joined his friend Billy Barty in organizing Little People of America. Maren has also portrayed Mayor McCheese and The Hamburglar in commercials for McDonald's.
In the late 1970s, he was the dapper little man on The Gong Show, heralding each show's big finish with an onslaught of confetti as Milton Delugg's band played "Hoop Dee Doo".
Maren also made a notable appearance in The Odd Couple episode 'Felix the Horseplayer' as Harry Tallman, a racehorse exerciser who was giving Oscar tips on winning horses.
Personal life[change | change source]
Maren was married to Elizabeth Barrington from 1975 until her death at age 69 on January 27, 2011.
Death[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Last female 'Oz' Munchkin dies at 95". CNN.com. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "The last of the living Wizard of Oz Munchkins tells us about how little he was paid for the role..." Yahoo! voices.com. Archived from the original on 23 June 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Munchkin Lollipop Guild Member visits Turning Stone during Oz-Stravaganza | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News". Wktv.com. June 4, 2010. Archived from the original on March 21, 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Potempa, Philip (2011-01-31). "'Wizard of Oz' Munchkin's wife, Elizabeth Maren, dead at 69". nwi.com. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Jerry Maren Dead: Wizard of Oz's actor and "Oldest Munchkin" was 98
- 'WIZARD OF OZ' Lollipop Guild Closes ... OLDEST MUNCHKIN DEAD AT 98