Reeves at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
|Born||Keanu Charles Reeves
September 2, 1964
Keanu Charles Reeves (born September 2, 1964) is a Canadian actor. He is known for his roles in movies like the Bill and Ted series, The Matrix series, and Speed, etc. At age 9, he started his acting career by appearing onstage, and at age 14, he appeared in Canadian television series and commercials. He also appeared in short movies and stage work in early 1980s. Keanu acted his first significant role in River's Edge (1987), and the next year (1988), he appeared in some movies such as Dangerous Liaisons and Permanent Record. In 1989, he appeared in the successful comedy Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, which was one of the Bill and Ted series. In 2008 he played the alien in The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Early life[change | change source]
Reeves was born in Beirut, Lebanon. He is the son of Patricia Bond (née Taylor), an English-born costume designer/performer, and Samuel Nowlin Reeves, Jr. His father, who is a Hawaiian-born American, has English, Native Hawaiian, Chinese, Irish, and Portuguese ancestry. Reeves has said: "My grandmother is Chinese and Hawaiian, so I was around Chinese art, furniture and cuisine when I was growing up". He is named after his uncle, and his first name is a Hawaiian word that means 'cool breeze over the mountains.'
References[change | change source]
- "Keanu Reeves Film Reference biography". Film Reference. http://www.filmreference.com/film/25/Keanu-Reeves.html. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Keanu Reeves: Growing Up on the Move". Choices Magazine. September 1988. http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1988_09xx_kea.htm. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Queer Keanu: Race, Sexuality and the Politics of Passing". November 15, 2007. http://www.whoaisnotme.net/others/2007_1115_que.pdf. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Hoover, Will (August 18, 2002). "Rooted in Kuli'ou'ou Valley". Honolulu Advertiser. http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Aug/18/ln/ln07a.html. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Keanu Goes International". January 1997. http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1997_01xx_kea.htm. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Keanu Reeves on directing for the first time". September 20, 2013. http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/2013_0920_kea2.htm.