Batman is a fictional character created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger for DC Comics and the main protagonist in the DC Universe. He is DC's flagship character. Batman is the secret identity of the very rich businessman Bruce Wayne. He is one of the most famous and popular superheroes. Batman first appeared in comic books and was later used in several radio series, movies, TV programs, books, and video games. There are also many toys and other merchandise dealing with Batman and other characters and items from the world he lives in. Batman lives in the fictional city of Gotham. Batman has a trusty sidekick Robin whose identity has been taken up by various heroes, usually his wards.
Comic book[change | change source]
Batman was first named "Bat-Man" by Kane. Batman made its first appearance in 1939 in Detective Comics No. 27. He was the second DC superhero to be created. The first was Superman. Batman's origin story is that as a young child, Bruce Wayne saw a robber named Joe Chill murder his mother and father after the family left a theatre. Bruce decided that he did not want that kind of violence to happen to anyone else and wanted to avenge his parents death. He then dedicated his life to protect his city, Gotham City. Wayne learned many different ways to fight as he grew up. As an adult, Wayne used a costume to scare criminals so that there would be less crime in Gotham. He called himself Batman.....
Batman's tools[change | change source]
Batman uses many different tools to help fight crime, these may vary based on the different iterations of batman. Notable examples include his car which he calls "the Batmobile", a motorcycle called the "Bat-Cycle", and has a special belt full of tools called a "utility belt" and most notably bat-shaped boomerangs called "Bat-A-Rangs." He also has radio signals in his bat ears and can shoot them out to his enemy. He also has tasers built in his suit, shocking his foes. In the movie "Batman & Robin" he has ice skates. He also has a kryptonite ring and a kryptonite launcher. He even has a power suit and a Bat-Saber(His version of a lightsaber).
Friends[change | change source]
Batman is often helped from other people in Gotham. Batman and his some of his various allies are often reffered to as the Bat Family. Some of these people also put on costumes and become superheroes when they help him. Some of the notable people who help him are his sidekick, Robin (Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne), his butler Alfred Pennyworth, police commissioner James Gordon, Wayne Enterprises CEO and president Lucius Fox, and Gordon's daughter Barbara Gordon. Barbara Gordon became a superhero named Batgirl (and later used the name Oracle). Commissioner Gordon uses a Bat-Signal which shines a light into the sky with a shadow in the shape of a bat on when he needs Batman's assistance. Batman is often, but not always, shown being friends with Superman. He is often shown as a friend of wonder woman. Batman, superman, and wonder woman are often referred to as the "Trinity". Batman is a part of many superhero teams that fight against evil, most notably the Justice League or JL for short, and Justice League Dark or JLD.
Enemies[change | change source]
Some of the villains that Batman fights, called his Rogues Gallery are the Joker, Penguin, Ra's al Ghul, Scarecrow, Talia al Ghul, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Bane, Riddler, Two-Face, and Clayface. Because of the way Batman deals with criminals, he may occasionally be seen as an enemy police. Once his tactics were stolen and used against some of the members of the Justice League.
Television[change | change source]
In the 1960s, a live-action television series was made of Batman and it was called Batman. In Batman, Adam West was the actor who was Batman and Burt Ward was the actor who was Robin. There are also many of cartoons with Batman as a character. These include, but are not limited to Superfriends, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League. There are other cartoons and programs where Batman is a character but he is not the most important part of the story, such as "Birds of Prey". This was a live-action series that is about Batman's daughter, the Huntress. The newest show is Beware the Batman.
Movies[change | change source]
- Many movies were made with Batman as the main character in the 1940s.
- 1966 Batman, based on the TV series, and starring Adam West.
- 1989 Batman, directed by Tim Burton and starring Michael Keaton.
- 1992 Batman Returns, directed by Tim Burton and starring Michael Keaton.
- 1995 Batman Forever, directed by Joel Schumacher and starring Val Kilmer.
- 1997 Batman & Robin, directed by Schumacher and starring George Clooney.
- 2005–2012 The Dark Knight Trilogy:
- 2014–2019 Lego Movies
- 2016–present DC Extended Universe Movies
- 2016 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, directed by Zack Snyder with Ben Affleck as Batman.
- 2016 Suicide Squad, directed by David Ayer with Ben Affleck as Batman.
- 2017 Justice League, directed by Joss Whedon with Ben Affleck as Batman.
- 2021 Zack Snyder's Justice League, directed by Zack Snyder with Ben Affleck as Batman.
- 2021 The Batman, directed by Matt Reeves with Robert Pattinson as Batman.
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Batman and his cast.|
- Who Is Bill Finger? - Bob Kane Created Batman, so who is Bill Finger? - Bill Finger Batman - The History of Batman - Legions of Gotham - Batman Wiki - The Batman Homepage - Ba...
- "Why Batman is so Popular, and His History - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com". Archived from the original on July 28, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- Daniels, Les. Batman: The Complete History. Chronicle Books, 1999. ISBN 0-8118-4232-0, pg. 18
- "Ben Affleck set to play Batman in 'Man of Steel' sequel". MSN. August 23, 2013. Archived from the original on August 26, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)