The Dark Knight Trilogy
The Dark Knight Trilogy is a set of three Christopher Nolan Batman movies. It includes Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012). Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Cillian Murphy appeared in all three movies.
All cast and crew members worked on all three movies, except for music composer James Newton Howard who did not work on The Dark Knight Rises. Composer Hans Zimmer collaborated with Howard on the first two films and composed the soundtrack for the last movie by himself. Katie Holmes played Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, but was replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight. Liam Neeson appeared as Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins and in The Dark Knight Rises.
All the three movies became a success with The Dark Knight becoming the number one grossing movie in 2008.  The Dark Knight Rises is the number two highest grossing movie in 2012. Batman Begins is the ninth highest grossing movie in 2005. Batman Begins earned $372,710,015 worldwide. The Dark Knight earned $1,003,045,358. The Dark Knight Rises earned $1,081,041,287, passing the receipts of The Dark Knight.
In both Batman Begins and in The Dark Knight, Gotham City was shot in Chicago, Illinois. In The Dark Knight Rises, Gotham City was shot in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, New York City, New York, and Los Angeles, California.
References[change | change source]
- Michael Flemming (January 27, 2003). "Batman captures director Nolan". Variety. Archived from the original on October 19, 2008. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117879566. Retrieved October 17, 2008.
- Bowles, Scott (December 7, 2008). "For now, Nolan and Batman will rest in 'Dark' glory". USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-12-07-dark-knight-nolan_N.htm?csp=34.. WebCitation archive.
- "All Time Worldwide Box Office Grosses". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on May 30, 2010. http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/. Retrieved May 31, 2010.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Batman franchise overview at Box Office Mojo
- The Dark Knight Rises at the Internet Movie Database
- Behind Batman: Public Domain Analysis of the Film Franchise