The Dark Knight Trilogy
The Dark Knight Series is a set of three Christopher Nolan Batman movies. It includes Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012). Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Cillian Murphy appeared in all three movies. The Trilogy is considered by many to be one of the best of all times. Batman's grounded portrayal was universally acclaimed.
All cast and crew members worked on all three movies, except for music composer James Newton Howard who did not work on The Dark Knight Rises. Composer Hans Zimmer worked together with Howard on the first two films and made the soundtrack for the last movie by himself. Katie Holmes played Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, but was replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight. Liam Neeson appeared as Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins and in The Dark Knight Rises.
Each of the three movies was a success in the box office; The Dark Knight was the number one grossing movie in 2008. The Dark Knight Rises is the third highest grossing movie of 2012. Batman Begins is the ninth highest grossing movie in 2005. Batman Begins earned $372,710,015 worldwide. The Dark Knight earned $1,023,045,358. The Dark Knight Rises earned $1,081,041,287, passing the receipts of The Dark Knight.
In both Batman Begins and in The Dark Knight, Gotham City was shot in Chicago, Illinois. In The Dark Knight Rises, Gotham City was shot in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, New York City, New York, and Los Angeles, California.
Reception[change | change source]
Box office performance[change | change source]
|Film||Release Date||Budget||Box Office Gross||All Time Ranking||References|
|Batman Begins||June 15, 2005||$150 million||$206,852,432||$167,366,241||$374,218,673||195||326|||
|The Dark Knight||July 18, 2008||$185 million||$535,234,033||$469,700,000||$1,004,934,033||12||43|||
|The Dark Knight Rises||July 20, 2012||$250 million||$448,139,099||$636,800,000||$1,084,939,099||19||29|||
Critical response[change | change source]
|Batman Begins||84% (279 reviews)||70 (41 critics)||A|
|The Dark Knight||94% (334 reviews)||84 (39 critics)||A|
|The Dark Knight Rises||87% (359 reviews)||78 (45 critics)||A|
References[change | change source]
- Michael Flemming (January 27, 2003). "Batman captures director Nolan". Variety. Archived from the original on October 19, 2008. Retrieved October 17, 2008. Unknown parameter
- Bowles, Scott (December 7, 2008). "For now, Nolan and Batman will rest in 'Dark' glory". USA Today.. WebCitation archive.
- "All Time Worldwide Box Office Grosses". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on May 30, 2010. Retrieved May 31, 2010. Unknown parameter
- "Batman Begins (2005)". Box Office Mojo.
- "The Dark Knight (2008)". Box Office Mojo.
- "The Dark Knight Rises (2012)". Box Office Mojo.
- "The Dark Knight Trilogy Movies at the Box Office". Box Office Mojo.
- "Batman Begins (2005)". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Batman Begins Reviews". Metacritic.
- "Home - Cinemascore". cinemascore.com.
- "The Dark Knight (2008)". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "The Dark Knight Reviews". Metacritic.
- "The Dark Knight Rises (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "The Dark Knight Rises Reviews". Metacritic.