Nolan in 2013
Christopher Jonathan James Nolan
30 July 1970
|Residence||Highgate, London, UK|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Other names||Chris Nolan|
|Citizenship||United Kingdom and United States|
|Education||B.A. in Eng. Lit.|
|Alma mater||Haileybury and Imperial Service College, |
University College London
|Occupation||Movie director, movie producer, screenwriter|
|Style||Neo-noir, nonlinear, psychological|
|Home town||London, England,|
|Board member of||Syncopy Films|
|Relatives||Jonathan Nolan (brother), Matthew Francis (brother),|
Brendan Nolan (father),
Christina Nolan (mother),
John Nolan (uncle),
Miranda Nolan (cousin)
|Awards||Saturn Award for Best Writing|
2005 Batman Begins
BSFC Award for Best Screenplay
Critics Choice Award for Best Screenplay
CFCA Award for Best Screenplay
Empire Award for Best Director
2006 The Prestige
FFCC Award for Best Screenplay
Independent Spirit Award for Best Director
Independent Spirit Award for Best Screenplay
LAFCA Award for Best Screenplay
OFCS Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
Christopher Jonathan James Nolan (born July 30, 1970) is a British-American movie director, writer and producer. He often works with his brother, author Jonathan Nolan. Nolan is best known for directing the psychological thriller Memento, and for reviving the Batman movie franchise as the director of The Dark Knight Trilogy. Each of them are Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012). He is also the founder of the production company, Syncopy Films.
The Dark Knight[change | change source]
In the months following the release of The Prestige (one of Nolan's other movies), Nolan made many comments suggesting that he would return to direct the sequel to Batman Begins. In late July 2006, the sequel was officially confirmed as The Dark Knight with Nolan at the helm and Heath Ledger joining the cast as The Joker, Batman's nemesis. Nolan and his brother Jonathan wrote a script, based on a treatment written by himself and David S. Goyer. The movie began production in early 2007. It was released on July 18 2008 in the United States, to overwhelming critical acclaim. It has also made a lot of money, setting the record for the highest-grossing weekend opening in the U.S. with over $158 million.
Casting[change | change source]
Nolan has frequently cast the following;
|The Dark Knight
|The Dark Knight Rises
|Mark Boone Junior|
Director filmography[change | change source]
Major motion pictures[change | change source]
- Following (1998) (also writer/producer)
- Memento (2000) (also writer)
- Insomnia (2002)
- Batman Begins (2005) (director/also writer/producer)
- The Prestige (2006) (also co-writer/producer)
- The Dark Knight (2008) (director/also co-writer/producer)
- Inception (2009) (director)
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (director/co-writer/producer)
- Man of Steel (2013) (producer/writer)
- Transcendence (2014) (producer)
- Interstellar (2014) (director/co-writer/producer)
- Dunkirk (2017) (director/writer/producer)
Short movies[change | change source]
- Tarantella (1989) (Also writer/producer)
- Larceny (1996) (Also writer/producer)
- Doodlebug (1997) (Also writer/producer)
References[change | change source]
- Haddon, Cole. (2010-07-12). "Interview: Christopher Nolan Talks 'Inception'". Film.com. Retrieved January 15, 2011.
- "'The Dark Knight Rises': Bring on the 'Knight'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Christopher Nolan OnFilm Interview". motion.kodak.com. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Davis, Edward (October 18, 2012). "Sam Mendes Says He Was "Not At All" Interested In Bond At First, Took Direct Inspiration From Nolan's 'Dark Knight' Films". IndieWire. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- "Chris Nolan Receives Rare Hollywood Honor". deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Nolan Talks Next". IGN FilmForce. 12 October 2005. Retrieved 2007-03-09.
- Garth Franklin (31 July 2006). "It's Official: "Batman 2" Gets A Title". DarkHorizons.com. Retrieved 2007-03-09.
- "The Dark Knight Business Page on IMDb".
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christopher Nolan.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Christopher Nolan|