List of Stanley Cup Finals appearances
This is a list of Stanley Cup Finals appearances, which lists those teams that have played in the Stanley Cup Final series since the current play-off format was adopted in 1915. Before this, from 1894 to 1914, the Cup was won by challenge or league championship. Since 1927, the Stanley Cup Final series also determines the National Hockey League (NHL) championship.
Active teams[change | change source]
Unless marked otherwise, teams played in the NHL exclusively at the time they competed for the Stanley Cup. A bolded year denotes a Stanley Cup win.
Six active teams have yet to make a Stanley Cup Finals appearance. Four teams have remained "intact" since their inceptions:
The other two teams had previously relocated and never made the Finals in either location:
Five relocated teams that have won the Stanley Cup in their current locations never appeared in the Finals in their former locations:
- Quebec Nordiques (16 seasons, 9 playoffs, 2 Division Championships) -- won 2 Stanley Cups as Colorado Avalanche
- Kansas City Scouts (2 seasons, never made playoff contention) / Colorado Rockies (6 seasons, 1 playoff) -- won 3 Stanley Cups as New Jersey Devils
- Oakland Seals-California Golden Seals (9 seasons, 2 playoffs) / Cleveland Barons (2 seasons, never made playoff contention) -- merged with Minnesota North Stars who lost twice in the Finals then won the Stanley Cup once as Dallas Stars
- Atlanta Flames (8 seasons, 6 playoffs) -- won Stanley Cup once as Calgary Flames
- Hartford Whalers (18 seasons, 8 playoffs, 1 Division Championship) -- won Stanley Cup once as Carolina Hurricanes
Defunct teams[change | change source]
Listed after the team name is the name of the affiliated league(s) when the team competed for the Stanley Cup. A bolded year denotes a Stanley Cup win
|Appearances||Team||Wins||Losses||Win %||Years of Appearance|
|5||Ottawa Senators (NHA/NHL)||4||1||.800||1915, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1927|
|4||Vancouver Millionaires (PCHA/WCHL)||1||3||.250||1915, 1918, 1921, 1922|
|3||Montreal Maroons (NHL)||2||1||.667||1926, 1928, 1935|
|3 ||Seattle Metropolitans (PCHA)||1||1||.500||1917, 1919, 1920|
|2||Victoria Cougars (WCHL/WHL)||1||1||.500||1925, 1926|
|1||Portland Rosebuds (PCHA)||0||1||.000||1916|
|1||Edmonton Eskimos (WCHL)||0||1||.000||1923|
|1||Calgary Tigers (WCHL)||0||1||.000||1924|
Notes[change | change source]
^ 1. The Toronto Maple Leafs won the Cup in 1918 as the Toronto Blueshirts, and in 1922 as the Toronto St. Patricks.
^ 2. The Chicago Blackhawks were known as the Chicago Black Hawks prior to the 1986–87 season.
^ 3. The Dallas Stars totals include two losses as the Minnesota North Stars.
^ 4. The Anaheim Ducks totals include one loss as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.
^ 5. The modern Ottawa Senators (1992–) are the namesake of the original Senators (1883–1954).
^ 6. The Montreal Canadiens and the Seattle Metropolitans totals include the 1919 Stanley Cup Finals that ended with a no-decision because of the Spanish flu epidemic.
^ 7. The original Senators became the St. Louis Eagles (NHL) and the amateur senior Ottawa Senators (QAHA) in 1934.
^ 8. The Vancouver Millionaires were known as the Vancouver Maroons from 1922 afterwards.
^ 9. The Victoria Cougars were known as the Victoria Senators, Victoria Aristocrats and Spokane Canaries prior to 1922.
References[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]