Los Angeles Chargers
|Los Angeles Chargers|
|Established August 14, 1959|
First season: 1960
Play in SoFi Stadium
Headquartered in Costa Mesa, California
|Team colors||Powder blue, gold, navy blue, white|
|General manager||Tom Telesco|
|Head coach||Anthony Lynn|
|League championships (1)|
|Conference championships (1)
|Division championships (15)|
|Playoff appearances (19)|
The Los Angeles Chargers are a professional American football team from the Los Angeles metropolitan area. They are currently part of the Western Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) in the National Football League (NFL). The team first played in 1960 as a charter member of the American Football League. The club spent its first season in Los Angeles before moving to San Diego in 1961, becoming the San Diego Chargers and spending 56 seasons in that city before moving back to the Los Angeles area from 2017 to 2019. The team played at Dignity Health Sports Park, a soccer stadium in suburban Carson that serves as home to the LA Galaxy of Major League Soccer. They will join the Los Angeles Rams in 2020 at SoFi Stadium that the Rams are building in another Los Angeles suburb, Inglewood.
From 2007 to 2019, Phillip Rivers was their starting quarterback. The current quarterback is Justin Herbert. The original team logo was a charging horse. Over time, the logo evolved into a lightning bolt, a play on a different meaning of "charge". The team wears navy blue jerseys and white pants for most home games, white jerseys and navy pants for road games, and powder blue jerseys with white pants for designated home games. There is a gold bolt on the jersey that is outlined in both powder blue and navy.
Pro Football Hall of Famers[change | change source]
Citations[change | change source]
- "Chronology 1959-1969". Chargers.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Archived from the original on November 28, 2017. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- Henne, Ricky (April 16, 2019). "Iconic Powder Blues to Serve as Chargers' Primary Jersey in 2019". Chargers.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Retrieved April 17, 2019.
- "HISTORY OF CHARGERS UNIFORM" (PDF). 2018 Los Angeles Chargers Media Guide. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- "Los Angeles Chargers Team Capsule" (PDF). 2018 Official National Football League Record and Fact Book. NFL Enterprises, LLC. August 9, 2018. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- "OWNERSHIP & EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT". Chargers.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Retrieved October 10, 2018.
- Chronology Archived 2007-10-20 at the Wayback Machine Chargers.com. Accessed 01 May 2008.
- Spanos, Dean (January 12, 2017). "Letter From Dean Spanos". San Diego Chargers. Archived from the original on January 12, 2017. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Chargers to Relocate to Los Angeles". San Diego Chargers. January 12, 2017. Archived from the original on April 28, 2017. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Chargers announce decision to relocate to Los Angeles". National Football League. January 12, 2017. Retrieved January 12, 2017.