Marvin Lee Minsky (August 9, 1927 – January 24, 2016) was an American cognitive scientist in the field of artificial intelligence (AI). He was the co-founder of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's AI laboratory, and author of several texts on AI and philosophy. He won the Turing Award in 1969.
Minskey was born in New York City, New York. He studied at Phillips Academy, Harvard University and at Princeton University. Minskey died in Boston, Massachusetts of a cerebral hemorrhage on January 24, 2016 at the age of 88. His body is chronologically frozen in Scottsdale, Arizona.
References[change | change source]
- Unknown (1975). "Minsky's frame system theory". Proceedings of the 1975 workshop on Theoretical issues in natural language processing - TINLAP '75. pp. 104–116. doi:10.3115/980190.980222.
- Marvin Minsky's publications in Google Scholar
- "Marvin Minsky, Pioneer in Artificial Intelligence, Dies at 88". The New York Times. January 25, 2016. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "A-1700, Case Summary, Patient 144". Alcor News. 12 June 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
On January 25, 2016, Alcor was notified ... that the member had been pronounced legally dead the previous day in Massachusetts after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage ... After some delays locating the member without information from the family, cooling to dry ice temperature began on January 27 followed by subsequent transport to Alcor and cooling to liquid nitrogen temperature for long-term storage.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marvin Minsky.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Marvin Minsky|
- Official website
- Oral history interview with Terry Winograd at Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. Winograd describes his work in computer science, linguistics, and artificial intelligence at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), discussing the work of Marvin Minsky and others.
- Scientist on the Set: An Interview with Marvin Minsky Archived 2012-07-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Marvin Minsky Playlist Appearance on WMBR's Dinnertime Sampler radio show November 26, 2003
- Consciousness Is A Big Suitcase: A talk with Marvin Minsky
- Video of Minsky speaking at the International Conference on Complex Systems, hosted by the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI) Archived 2012-03-20 at the Wayback Machine