Metrojet Flight 9268 (KGL 9268/7K9268) was an international chartered passenger flight. On 31 October 2015, it left Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt flying to Saint Petersburg, Russia. It crashed in the Sinai desert 23 minutes after it took off.
|Date||31 October 2015|
|Summary||Terrorist bombing by Islamic State's Sinai Branch|
|Site||Near Housna, North Sinai Governorate, Egypt |
|Aircraft type||Airbus A321-231|
|IATA flight No.||7K9268|
|ICAO flight No.||KGL9268|
|Call sign||KOGALYM 9268|
|Flight origin||Sharm El Sheikh International Airport, Sinai Peninsula, Egypt|
|Destination||Pulkovo Airport, Saint Petersburg, Russia|
It reached an altitude of 31,000 ft (9,400 m) when it disappeared from radar. The aircraft, an Airbus A321-231, was carrying 217 passengers and seven crew members. As well as the crew, 214 of those aboard were Russian. The remaining three were Ukrainian, mostly tourists.
Passengers and crew[change | change source]
|People on board by nationality|
Flight 9268 was carrying 217 passengers, of which 25 were children, plus seven crew members. The captain of the flight was 47-year-old Valery Yurievich Nemov and the first officer was Sergei Stanislavovich Trukhachev. According to the airline, captain Nemov had amassed more than 12,000 hours of flight time, including 3,800 hours on this aircraft type. First officer Trukhachev had 5,641 hours of flight time, including more than 1,300 hours on the aircraft type.
References[change | change source]
- "Sinai plane crash: No survivors on Russian airliner KGL9268". BBC News. 31 October 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- "What happened to Flight KGL-9268". Sky News. 31 October 2015. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- "224 People Aboard". The Telegraph. Archived from the original on October 31, 2015. Retrieved Oct 31, 2015.
- "Russian plane crash in Egypt: It's too early to determine cause, officials say". CNN. 3 November 2015.
- "Все формы предполетного технического обслуживания выполнены своевременно и в полном объеме" [All forms of pre-flight maintenance were completed on time and in full] (in Russian). Kommersant. 31 October 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- "По предварительным данным Посольства в Египте, среди погибших при катастрофе российского авиалайнера один гражданин Беларуси" [According to preliminary data of the Embassy in Egypt, one Belarusian citizen was among the dead in the crash of a Russian airliner] (in Belarusian). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Belarus. 31 October 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- Список пассажиров и экипажа самолета Airbus A321 авиакомпании "КогалымАвиа" 7К9268 [The list of passengers and crew of Airbus A321 "KogalymAvia" 7K9268] (in Russian). Russian Emergencies Ministry. Archived from the original on 13 August 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2022.
- Fantz, Ashley; Robertson, Nic (3 November 2015). "Russian plane victims: 'It's a horror ... to lose so many children'". CNN. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Он сделал все возможное": бывшая жена погибшего пилота A321 не винит его в катастрофе ["He did everything possible": former wife of the deceased A321 pilot does not blame him in the crash] (in Russian). NTV. 14 November 2022.
- "Crash: Metrojet A321 over Sinai on Oct 31st 2015, disappeared from radar in climb over Sinai". The Aviation Herald.