Metuchen, New Jersey
|Borough of Metuchen|
The Historic Brainy Borough
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Incorporated||March 20, 1900|
|• Body||Borough Council|
|• Mayor||Jonathan Busch (D, term ends December 31, 2019; appointed to serve an unexpired term)|
|• Administrator||Jennifer Maier|
|• Municipal clerk||Susan Jackson|
|• Total||2.766 sq mi (7.166 km2)|
|• Land||2.764 sq mi (7.160 km2)|
|• Water||0.002 sq mi (0.006 km2) 0.09%|
|Area rank||356th of 566 in state|
18th of 25 in county
|Elevation||95 ft (29 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||184th of 566 in state|
18th of 25 in county
|• Density||4,910.4/sq mi (1,895.9/km2)|
|• Density rank||113th of 566 in state|
9th of 25 in county
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern (EDT))|
|GNIS feature ID||0885298|
History[change | change source]
Geography[change | change source]
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 2.766 square miles (7.166 km2). That included 2.764 square miles (7.160 km2) of land and 0.002 square miles (0.006 km2) of water (0.09%).
References[change | change source]
- Chang, Kathy. "Metuchen used its smarts to claim the title of The Brainy Borough", Sentinel-EDM News, December 3, 2015. Accessed July 12, 2016. "How did Metuchen attain the reputation 'The Brainy Borough?' That is what the Metuchen Historic Preservation Committee, with the help of historians Linda McTeague, Dennis Bertland and Margaret Newman, unveiled in a booklet titled Metuchen, The Brainy Borough that was recently released. 'This year is the 100th anniversary of the battle for the Brainy Borough title between Glen Ridge (in Essex County) and Metuchen,' said Councilman Jay Muldoon, liaison to the Historic Preservation Committee."
- 2010 Census Gazetteer Files: New Jersey County Subdivisions, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- 2017 New Jersey Mayors Directory, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. Accessed January 28, 2018. As of date accessed, hPeter Cammarano is listed as mayor.
- Administrator, Borough of Metuchen. Accessed July 12, 2016.
- Clerk, Borough of Metuchen. Accessed July 12, 2016.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Borough of Metuchen, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 for Metuchen borough, Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 5, 2012.
- Table DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2010 for Metuchen borough, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Accessed May 5, 2012.
- GCT-PH1 Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - State -- County Subdivision from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 23, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Metuchen, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed December 10, 2011.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed August 28, 2013.
- Area Code Lookup - NPA NXX for Metuchen, NJ, Area-Codes.com. Accessed August 28, 2013.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed November 26, 2012.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- Snyder, John P. The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 170. Accessed May 5, 2012.